Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Zachary Uram

Default some lenny problems

Ok I just did a fresh install of lenny (so using default gnome
settings, default metacity settings, default X settings) and I have 3
problems.

1) There is no bottom gnome panel only the top panel. I want to add
the bottom panel which shows the minimized windows, the virtual
workspaces, etc.. And I want this to show up in every session.

2) Common packages I could find easily in Ubuntu 9.04 are not in my
package caches (and yes I just ran apt-get update) such as xchat and
epic4. I know Debian is more restrictive but what can I add to my
/etc/apt/sources.list to get these and other apps. Here is my
sources.list:

#
# deb-src cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
main
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
main
#

deb-src cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
main

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main

3) Some apps start up with window dimensions that are larger than my
screen height and thus "fall off" the bottom of the screen! This
happened with Iceweasel. How can I fix this so that *all* apps will be
forced to resize their window dimensions so as to fit within my screen
resolution?

Thanks!
Zach

Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Zachary Uram wrote:
> 2) Common packages I could find easily in Ubuntu 9.04 are not in my
> package caches (and yes I just ran apt-get update) such as xchat and
> epic4. I know Debian is more restrictive but what can I add to my
> /etc/apt/sources.list to get these and other apps. Here is my
> sources.list:
>
> #
> # deb-src cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
> Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
> main
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
> Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
> main
> #
>
> deb-src cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
> Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
> main
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
> Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
> main
>

> deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
>
> deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
> deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main

You don't have any mirror listed, no wonder you cannot find packages.
Try adding a line like

deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

to that file, substituting for a mirror close to you.

--
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation.
-- H. H. Munro, "Saki"

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:42:29PM -0500, Zachary Uram wrote:
> Ok I just did a fresh install of lenny (so using default gnome
> settings, default metacity settings, default X settings) and I have 3
> problems.
>
> 1) There is no bottom gnome panel only the top panel. I want to add
> the bottom panel which shows the minimized windows, the virtual
> workspaces, etc.. And I want this to show up in every session.

Maybe it's there, but off the screen? That could happen if your
resolution was off, but it's never happened to me...

> 2) Common packages I could find easily in Ubuntu 9.04 are not in my
> package caches (and yes I just ran apt-get update) such as xchat and
> epic4. I know Debian is more restrictive but what can I add to my
> /etc/apt/sources.list to get these and other apps. Here is my
> sources.list:

You can remove those restrictions by adding "contrib non-free" after
"main" in each of your sources lines. But you shouldn't need to do that
for xchat and epic4, because they are in "main".

You might also be interested in the debian-multimedia and
debian-backports repositories.

> 3) Some apps start up with window dimensions that are larger than my
> screen height and thus "fall off" the bottom of the screen! This
> happened with Iceweasel. How can I fix this so that *all* apps will be
> forced to resize their window dimensions so as to fit within my screen
> resolution?

Ah, sounds like your resolution is set incorrectly. You could try
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and see if that fixes it. If not, stop
X by issuing this command:

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

Then log in at the command line and issue this command:

X -configure

That should create an xorg.conf file for you. Then:

/etc/init.d/gdm start

and see if things are any better.

-Rob

Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Wednesday 11 November 2009 12:14:33 Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Zachary Uram wrote:
> > 2) Common packages I could find easily in Ubuntu 9.04 are not in my
> > package caches (and yes I just ran apt-get update) such as xchat and
> > epic4. I know Debian is more restrictive but what can I add to my
> > /etc/apt/sources.list to get these and other apps. Here is my
> > sources.list:
> >
> > #
> > # deb-src cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
> > Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
> > main
> > # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
> > Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
> > main
> > #
> >
> > deb-src cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
> > Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
> > main
> > deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.1 _Lenny_ - Official
> > Multi-architecture i386/amd64/source DVD #1 20090413-04:09]/ lenny
> > main
> >

> > deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> > deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
> >
> > deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
> > deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
>
> You don't have any mirror listed, no wonder you cannot find packages.
> Try adding a line like
>
> deb http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

Try without the "contrib" and "non-free" parts first. Those are not
officially part of Debian.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Klistvud

Dne, 11. 11. 2009 18:42:29 je Zachary Uram napisal(a):
> 1) There is no bottom gnome panel only the top panel. I want to add
> the bottom panel which shows the minimized windows, the virtual
> workspaces, etc.. And I want this to show up in every session.

Create another user (better if from the command line; the Gnome applet
for creating users has some quirks). Does the new user have all the
panels in place?

> 2) Common packages I could find easily in Ubuntu 9.04 are not in my
> package caches (and yes I just ran apt-get update) such as xchat and
> epic4. I know Debian is more restrictive but what can I add to my
> /etc/apt/sources.list to get these and other apps. Here is my
> sources.list:

Fire up Synaptics. Select the second menu entry from the right (next to
Help) > Repositories > enable the second and third option (contrib &
non-free). Close the dialog. Click the "refresh" button. Wait till
Synaptics does its thing. Now you can use the Search button on its
toolbar and find out if the apps you want are in the repositories.

> 3) Some apps start up with window dimensions that are larger than my
> screen height and thus "fall off" the bottom of the screen! This
> happened with Iceweasel. How can I fix this so that *all* apps will
> be
> forced to resize their window dimensions so as to fit within my
> screen
> resolution?
>
> Thanks!
> Zach

I strongly suspect a wrong (or, more probably -- missing) xorg.conf is
the culprit. You'll either have to tinker with hal definition files
(the ones in xml format) or supply the supported resolutions via
xorg.conf. There's a plethora of template xorg.conf files on the
Internet, or you could boot a good live CD and copy the relevant lines
from its xorg.conf.

--
Regards and good luck,

Klistvud