-   -   Console Font Size? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/278827-console-font-size.html)

"Thomas H. George" 11-11-2009 03:24 PM

Console Font Size?

What is the relation between consolechars, charset and the
/etc/console-tools/config file?

On boot up the console characters are hard to read without glasses.
The command consolechars -d changes to a very bold font.
The man page for charset indicates the default font is cp427 or iso01.
The entries in /etc/console-tools/config set APP_CHAR_MAP=utf8 and
SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold16

After experimenting I edited /etc/console-tools/config to change the
line

SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold16

SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold32x16

which gave me a console font I can read without glasses.

This works for me but I am left wondering about the different options.

Tom

Wayne 11-11-2009 03:35 PM

Console Font Size?

Thomas H. George wrote:

What is the relation between consolechars, charset and the
/etc/console-tools/config file?

On boot up the console characters are hard to read without glasses.
The command consolechars -d changes to a very bold font.
The man page for charset indicates the default font is cp427 or iso01.
The entries in /etc/console-tools/config set APP_CHAR_MAP=utf8 and
SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold16

After experimenting I edited /etc/console-tools/config to change the
line

SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold16

SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold32x16

which gave me a console font I can read without glasses.

This works for me but I am left wondering about the different options.

I had to do the following to get a usable font here

dpkg-reconfigure console-setup.

Wayne

jagginess 11-11-2009 09:36 PM

Console Font Size?

Thomas H. George wrote:

What is the relation between consolechars, charset and the
/etc/console-tools/config file?

On boot up the console characters are hard to read without glasses.
The command consolechars -d changes to a very bold font.
The man page for charset indicates the default font is cp427 or iso01.
The entries in /etc/console-tools/config set APP_CHAR_MAP=utf8 and
SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold16

After experimenting I edited /etc/console-tools/config to change the
line

SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold16

SCREEN_FONT=uni3-TerminusBold32x16

which gave me a console font I can read without glasses.

This works for me but I am left wondering about the different options.

Tom

You may like to reverse the settings to their defaults and first try
vga=ask (append to kernel boot line in grub config file).
Once you find the vga= option you like, you can then set it like this->
vga=0x<chosen> (eg: if you typed 317 it would be vga=0x317).

This sets up the textual console resolution. You can then check out if
you need further refinement with the character sets..