-   -   finding the ip address of an upstream DNS (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/278441-finding-ip-address-upstream-dns.html)

11-10-2009 10:09 PM

finding the ip address of an upstream DNS

I have dnsmasq running on a machine which
connects to the ISP by DHCP.

Can anyone tell me how to find the ip address
of the upstream DNS which dnsmasq refers to?
The best idea I get from the man page is to
specify --log-facility=<file> and look for the
address in the log.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop"

Celejar 11-10-2009 11:30 PM

finding the ip address of an upstream DNS

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:09:58 -0700
peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:

> I have dnsmasq running on a machine which
> connects to the ISP by DHCP.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to find the ip address
> of the upstream DNS which dnsmasq refers to?
> The best idea I get from the man page is to
> specify --log-facility=<file> and look for the
> address in the log.

In my pretty standard dnsmasq setup, upstream dns is
in /var/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf. From the manpage:

-----
In order to configure dnsmasq to act as cache for the host on which it
is running, put "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in /etc/resolv.conf to
force local processes to send queries to dnsmasq. Then either specify
the upstream servers directly to dnsmasq using --server options or put
their addresses real in another file, say /etc/resolv.dnsmasq and
run dnsmasq with the -r /etc/resolv.dnsmasq option. This second
technique allows for dynamic update of the server addresses by PPP or
DHCP.
-----

So, 'ps ax | grep dnsmasq' ought to tell you where upstream is (that's
how I found mine).

Celejar