Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default Replacement for firestarter?

I really like using firestarter, as the realtime traffic logs and
allow/deny interface are exceedingly useful to me. However, I know that
it's been dead upstream for a long time, and I was hoping someone knew
of a well-maintained replacement.

I'm not really looking for a static firewall builder (e.g. fwbuilder or
lokkit), but something that approximates the "allow/deny current
traffic" features of firestarter.

Thanks in advance!

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 PM
green

Todd A. Jacobs wrote at 2009-11-10 14:30 -0600:
> I'm not really looking for a static firewall builder (e.g. fwbuilder or
> lokkit), but something that approximates the "allow/deny current
> traffic" features of firestarter.

I am new to netfilter, etc. and have been doing research recently on firewall
options and trying to learn about what is available and how it all works.

One package I came across, mason, is designed to learn and display the rules
you need as the traffic flows; perhaps you should try it.