Old 01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Dan H

Default GNOME desktop troubles

Hello,

being a purely shell and fvwm user myself I'm really out of my depth trying to get those new-fangled clickable desktop thingies to work right. But I'm trying to do it for others (who are permanently threatening me to want a M$-based computer).

1. I can't get the desktop environment to use any other language than
English. I installed the es_ES.UTF-8 locale and selected it in the
gdm languages menu, but upon starting gdm tells me that the language
"doesn't exist" and falls back to English. But when I do "export
LANG=es_ES.UTF-8" in a shell, all Gnome apps started from that shell are in Spanish, as intended. BTW, does that mean that each and every Gnome program carries all of its own translations around with it?

2. For some reason, Gnome doesn't let me log out any more. And the startup window of the Gnome desktop just stays there, with "Nautilus" at the bottom. Starting applications etc. works. This may have started with my recent language experiments.

3. Out of curiosity: Which program starts the Gnome desktop? I get my good ole fvwm by just putting "fvwm" in my ~/.xsession, but what do I have to put there to get Gnome?

--D.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Dan H

> 2. For some reason, Gnome doesn't let me log out any more. And the
> startup window of the Gnome desktop just stays there, with
> "Nautilus" at the bottom. Starting applications etc. works. This
> may have started with my recent language experiments.

UPDATE: Gnome /does/ log me out about a minute after I clicked on the "Log out" button without a warning. I have no idea what it does in the meantime. "top" doesn't show any busy processes.

Very puzzling.

--D.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/03/08 10:12, Dan H wrote:
>> 2. For some reason, Gnome doesn't let me log out any more. And the
>> startup window of the Gnome desktop just stays there, with
>> "Nautilus" at the bottom. Starting applications etc. works. This
>> may have started with my recent language experiments.
>
> UPDATE: Gnome /does/ log me out about a minute after I clicked on
> the "Log out" button without a warning. I have no idea what it
> does in the meantime. "top" doesn't show any busy processes.

When you click on System->"Log out $USER...", do you get something
similar to the dialog in the attached email?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown

Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Cassiano Bertol Leal

Dan H wrote:

2. For some reason, Gnome doesn't let me log out any more. And the
startup window of the Gnome desktop just stays there, with
"Nautilus" at the bottom. Starting applications etc. works. This
may have started with my recent language experiments.

UPDATE: Gnome /does/ log me out about a minute after I clicked on the "Log out" button without a warning. I have no idea what it does in the meantime. "top" doesn't show any busy processes.

Very puzzling.

--D.

I had this problem before, and (strangely) it was because the system was
having a hard time trying to resolve the machine's fqdn.

Check /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts for your machine's hostname and
resolve address. If you need help with these, post your doubts to the list.

Cheers,
Cassiano Leal