Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 AM
hadi motamedi

Default Inquiry:How to check for IP conflict on my Debian server?

Dear All
Please be informed that I have set an secondary IP address on my*Debian server to be able to reach to another Intranet , as the followings:
#ifconfig eth0:1 172.18.209.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 up
But I am not aware if any other node on the new Intranet is making use of this IP address . Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I check if any IP conflict occured ?

Let me thank you in advance
*

Old 11-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Javier Barroso

Old 11-10-2009, 10:37 AM
hadi motamedi

Sorry . But my Debian server is not on the same subnet with the remote Intranet , I mean my Debian server is @192.168.0.2 and the remote Intranet is at @172.18.128.1 so I want to set the secondary IP @172.18.205.1 on my Debian server to be able to communicate with the remote node but I don't know if this IP address is free or not . Do you mind to let me know if the "arping" can be used in such a case here ?

Thank you in advance

*
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
> Please be informed that I have set an secondary IP address on my*Debian

> server to be able to reach to another Intranet , as the followings:
> #ifconfig eth0:1 172.18.209.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 up
> But I am not aware if any other node on the new Intranet is making use of
> this IP address . Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I check

> if any IP conflict occured ?
> Let me thank you in advance

From the same network execute "arping IP". Maybe you have to install arping

Regards,

Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Javier Barroso

Hi

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:37 PM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry . But my Debian server is not on the same subnet with the remote
> Intranet , I mean my Debian server is @192.168.0.2 and the remote Intranet
> is at @172.18.128.1 so I want to set the secondary IP @172.18.205.1 on my
> Debian server to be able to communicate with the remote node but I don't
> know if this IP address is free or not . Do you mind to let me know if the
> "arping" can be used in such a case here ?
> Thank you in advance

Execute arping from 172.18.128.1 (or from any host in the network) if
it is in the same network that 172.18.205.1

Old 11-10-2009, 07:26 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:37:57AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:

> Sorry . But my Debian server is not on the same subnet with the remote
> Intranet , I mean my Debian server is @192.168.0.2 and the remote

If they are on different subnets, then it shouldn't matter. This isn't
really a Debian question; it's a network architecture issue. Reusing RFC
1918 addresses on different subnets is fine, but you will have to NAT or
route the packets somehow if you expect to communicate with that IP to
other devices outside your local subnet, and that's where you may have
some issues if you haven't done some planning.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 AM
Alex Samad

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:26:35PM -0800, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:37:57AM +0000, hadi motamedi wrote:
>
> > Sorry . But my Debian server is not on the same subnet with the remote
> > Intranet , I mean my Debian server is @192.168.0.2 and the remote
>
> If they are on different subnets, then it shouldn't matter. This isn't
unless he is on the end of tun vpn (openpvn), which stretch the network
I think we need more information. My inmpression from reading the op was
they were on the same ethernet broadcast domain

> really a Debian question; it's a network architecture issue. Reusing RFC
> 1918 addresses on different subnets is fine, but you will have to NAT or
> route the packets somehow if you expect to communicate with that IP to
> other devices outside your local subnet, and that's where you may have
> some issues if you haven't done some planning.

--
"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa. "

- George W. Bush
01/28/2003
State of the Union Address
making a claim that administration officials knew at the time to be false