Old 11-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Camaleón

Default Installing Postfix instead Exim4

Hello,

I am in the process of installing some servers with Lenny and would like to
install Postfix instead Exim, as I'm more used to it.

I cannot see any option (under expert installer) to choose Postfix instead
Exim so not sure about the correct procedure to achieve this.

1/ Should I install the default "mail server" template and once the system
is fully installed then go and install Postfix?

2/ Or is there any available parameter I can pass the installer to select a
specific mail server for installation, instead using the default one?

Thanks!

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Mihira Fernando

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:06:39 +0100
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of installing some servers with Lenny and would
> like to install Postfix instead Exim, as I'm more used to it.
>
> I cannot see any option (under expert installer) to choose Postfix
> instead Exim so not sure about the correct procedure to achieve this.
>
> 1/ Should I install the default "mail server" template and once the
> system is fully installed then go and install Postfix?
>
> 2/ Or is there any available parameter I can pass the installer to
> select a specific mail server for installation, instead using the
> default one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Greetings,

If you want to install postfix during setup, you have to use the manual
package selection option.
If you want to go with postfix, dont install the "mail server" template
as that only installs full exim.
What I usually do is install with only the basic setup so that it
installs exim-minimum and install postfix after the initial setup is
done.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Jochen Schulz

Camaleón:

> 1/ Should I install the default "mail server" template and once the system
> is fully installed then go and install Postfix?

Yes.

> 2/ Or is there any available parameter I can pass the installer to select a
> specific mail server for installation, instead using the default one?

Not that I know of.

J.
--
I no longer believe my life will be long, happy, interesting or fulfilled
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Camaleón

Mihira Fernando wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:06:39 +0100
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am in the process of installing some servers with Lenny and would
>> like to install Postfix instead Exim, as I'm more used to it.
>>
>> I cannot see any option (under expert installer) to choose Postfix
>> instead Exim so not sure about the correct procedure to achieve this.

(...)

> If you want to install postfix during setup, you have to use the manual
> package selection option.
> If you want to go with postfix, dont install the "mail server" template
> as that only installs full exim.
> What I usually do is install with only the basic setup so that it
> installs exim-minimum and install postfix after the initial setup is
> done.

I think I missed the "manual package selection" option :-?

Thanks for the hints, I'll try first by choosing the manual selection of the
packages as there are some I would like to have available just after the
installation (midnight commander, postfix, cyrus-imap...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Camaleón

El Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:42:40 +0100, Camaleón escribió:

> Mihira Fernando wrote:

>> If you want to install postfix during setup, you have to use the manual
>> package selection option.

(...)

> I think I missed the "manual package selection" option :-?

Ok, I performed another Lenny installation and there was no option to
manually select the packages to be installed. Just only some "templates".

Can this be specified in any way I'm not aware of? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Johan Grönqvist

Camaleón skrev:

I think I missed the "manual package selection" option :-?

Ok, I performed another Lenny installation and there was no option to
manually select the packages to be installed. Just only some "templates".

Can this be specified in any way I'm not aware of? :-?

By "templates", do you mean laptop, webserver, etc. as on this image
<http://screenshots.debian.net/screenshot/tasksel>?

The screenshot shows tasksel, which is what I usually see during my
installations. (You may have used the graphical installer, and seen an
equivalent graphical version.)

Note the last item named "manual package selection".

Hope it helps,

/ johan