Old 11-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default eth1 disappears after kernel upgrade

When I installed kernel 2.6.30-2-686-bigmem my eth1 disappeared, so no
wireless. Not a problem in practice because I simply revert to
2.6.30-1-686-bigmem and it's back, but I'd like to understand what is
happening. Does it need a bug report or is it a "feature"?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 10 Nov 2009, Γιώργος *άλλας wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >When I installed kernel 2.6.30-2-686-bigmem my eth1 disappeared, so no
> >wireless. Not a problem in practice because I simply revert to
> >2.6.30-1-686-bigmem and it's back, but I'd like to understand what is
> >happening. Does it need a bug report or is it a "feature"?
> >
> >Anthony
> >

> It seems to me strange to lose your wireless just from 2.6.30-1 to 2.6.30-2.
> Do you remember if your wless was playing out of the box with 2.6.30-1 ?
>
> Do you happen to use any of those broadcom sta modules?
>
> Boot into 2.6.30-1 where your wireless is recognized and send us an
> lspci -v (just the wireless part)
>
> Giorgos

Yes, you are right. I'd forgotten this was a Broadcom wireless. I'm not
sure if the modules are available for the latest kernel.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 10 Nov 2009, Γιώργος *άλλας wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:

> >>It seems to me strange to lose your wireless just from 2.6.30-1 to 2.6.30-2.
> >>Do you remember if your wless was playing out of the box with 2.6.30-1 ?
> >>
> >>Do you happen to use any of those broadcom sta modules?
> >>
> >>Boot into 2.6.30-1 where your wireless is recognized and send us an
> >>lspci -v (just the wireless part)
> >>
> >>Giorgos
> >>

> >Yes, you are right. I'd forgotten this was a Broadcom wireless. I'm not
> >sure if the modules are available for the latest kernel.
> >
> >Anthony
>
> I also have such a card. I have noted the following instructions for
> doing after a kernel upgrade:
>
> aptitude purge <everything-with-broadcom-in-the-package-name>
> aptitude install broadcom-sta-common broadcom-sta-source
>
> # module-assistant prepare broadcom-sta
> # module-assistant auto-install broadcom-sta
>
> and reboot!
>

> (you need internet to get the packages, so first boot the kernel
> where wifi functions, do the first two commands, then reboot to the
> new and issue the next to commands)

I seem to remember doing that in the past but the broadcom packages are
apparently not available at the moment.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 11-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Colin

Anthony Campbell wrote:

I seem to remember doing that in the past but the broadcom packages are
apparently not available at the moment.

Then you'll have to do what we did in the 2.6.31 kernel thread:

http://wiki.debian.org/wl

Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 11 Nov 2009, Γιώργος *άλλας wrote:
> >>(you need internet to get the packages, so first boot the kernel
> >>where wifi functions, do the first two commands, then reboot to the
> >>new and issue the next to commands)
> >>

> >I seem to remember doing that in the past but the broadcom packages are
> >apparently not available at the moment.
> >
> >Anthony
> >

> Oh, this must be related to the thread "2.6.31 kernels" about the
> broadcom packages disappearing from the repositories. Why the heck
> was that??

Correct, and the method given on the Debian Wiki didn't work here. I
first compiled the 32-bit version by mistake so the module didn't load;
the 65-bit version doesn't compile.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk

Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Alex Samad

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:31:13PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> > >I seem to remember doing that in the past but the broadcom packages are
> > >apparently not available at the moment.
> > >
> > >Anthony
> > >

> > Oh, this must be related to the thread "2.6.31 kernels" about the
> > broadcom packages disappearing from the repositories. Why the heck
> > was that??
> >

> Correct, and the method given on the Debian Wiki didn't work here. I
> first compiled the 32-bit version by mistake so the module didn't load;
> the 65-bit version doesn't compile.

guys I have taken a hybrid approach I have a couple of the broadcom-sta
I did a m-a -t build, which failed, I then cd
/usr/src/modules/broadcom-sta/amd64 (i think from memeory) then from
tmp/modules (this is where I had grabbed the latest broadcom-sta source
from broadcom) I copied over the directories amd64 to amd64 and i386 to
i386. The next step was to m-a -O -t build braodcom-sta and done I have
a deb package that I can install against .6.31 the tail versioning is
out but hell it works and its a deb package

ask me off list if people want the broadcom-sta package

Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 PM
"goran@dobosevic.com"

guys I have taken a hybrid approach I have a couple of the broadcom-sta
I did a m-a -t build, which failed, I then cd
/usr/src/modules/broadcom-sta/amd64 (i think from memeory) then from
tmp/modules (this is where I had grabbed the latest broadcom-sta source
from broadcom) I copied over the directories amd64 to amd64 and i386 to
i386. The next step was to m-a -O -t build braodcom-sta and done I have
a deb package that I can install against .6.31 the tail versioning is
out but hell it works and its a deb package

ask me off list if people want the broadcom-sta package

Anthony

hi,
I was try your and official way but without success.
I have 2.6.32-trunk-686.

here is my output:
make[5]: *** [/usr/src/modules/broadcom-sta/i386/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o]
Error 1

make[4]: *** [_module_/usr/src/modules/broadcom-sta/i386] Error 2
make[3]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-trunk-686'
make[1]: *** [binary-modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/broadcom-sta'
make: *** [kdist_build] Error 2

do you maybe have some suggestion?

thanks,
Goran Dobosevic