Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Ken Teague

Default Inquiry:How to add a command to Debian server ?

hadi motamedi wrote:

Dear All
Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I add a command to
my Debian server ? Please be informed that I found on the web that if
I can find the new command rpm package , then I can try to add it as
the followings :

#rpm -i ./package.i386.rpm
It seems that the link at www.pbone.net <http://www.pbone.net/>
contains the rpm packages for most distro , except for the Debian .
Can you please let me have the link to try for adding a command (like
dmidecode) to my Debian server ?

Let me thank you in advance

You should try to avoid installing software that is not in .deb format.
As Juha stated, use apt-cache search to see if there's already a Debian
package for it. If there's not, I'd suggest installing the program from
source before installing an RPM or whatnot. If you have no other choice
than to install an RPM, you can use "alien" to install it.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Jochen Schulz

hadi motamedi:

> Can you please do me favor and let me know how can I add a command to my
> Debian server ? Please be informed that I found on the web that if I can
> find the new command rpm package , then I can try to add it as the
> followings :
> #rpm -i ./package.i386.rpm

This advice applies to RPM-based distributions like RedHat, Suse etc.
Debian has its own package format (.deb).

> It seems that the link at www.pbone.net contains the rpm packages for most
> distro , except for the Debian . Can you please let me have the link to try
> for adding a command (like dmidecode) to my Debian server ?

You should read the Debian reference, especially chapter 2:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/

Otherwise you are likely to mess up your system soon.

J.
--
I am not scared of death but terrified of people in Tommy Hilfiger
sweatshirts.