Old 01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Bernd Prager

Default kernel config for AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester

Hi,

I am running kernel 2.6.23.12 and compiled with SMP on.
Unfortunately the kernel doesn't recognize my dual core processor:

$ dmesg | grep -i cpu
CPU has 2 num_cores
Processor #0 (Bootup-CPU)
SMP: Allowing 1 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs
PERCPU: Allocating 34344 bytes of per cpu data
Initializing CPU#0
CPU 0: aperture @ 610000000 size 32 MB
CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
CPU: L2 Cache: 512K (64 bytes/line)
CPU 0/0 -> Node 0
Brought up 1 CPUs

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 43
model name : AMD Hammer Family processor - Model Unknown
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2211.347
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm
3dnowext 3dnow up rep_good pni lahf_lm
bogomips : 4425.39
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

Any ideas how I can configure the kernel to fix that?

Thanks for any help,
-- Bernd Prager

Old 01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Bernd Prager

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 09:58:28 -0600, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
wrote:

> On 01/03/08 09:42, Bernd Prager wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running kernel 2.6.23.12 and compiled with SMP on.
>
> Home-rolled or built-by-Debian?
Home-rolled

> Are you sure SMP is enabled? What does "uname -v" say?
Linux gertrud 2.6.23.12 #1 SMP Wed Jan 2 11:21:26 EST 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

>> Unfortunately the kernel doesn't recognize my dual core processor:
>>
>> $ dmesg | grep -i cpu
>> CPU has 2 num_cores
>> Processor #0 (Bootup-CPU)
>> SMP: Allowing 1 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs
>> PERCPU: Allocating 34344 bytes of per cpu data
>> Initializing CPU#0
>> CPU 0: aperture @ 610000000 size 32 MB
>> CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)
>> CPU: L2 Cache: 512K (64 bytes/line)
>> CPU 0/0 -> Node 0
>> Brought up 1 CPUs
>>
>> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>> processor : 0
>> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
>> cpu family : 15
>> model : 43
> [snip]
>> cache_alignment : 64
>> address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
>> power management: ts fid vid ttp
>>

>> Any ideas how I can configure the kernel to fix that?
>
> $ zgrep SMP /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_SMP=y
> # CONFIG_X86_BIGSMP is not set
> CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
> CONFIG_X86_SMP=y
>

> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA
>
> "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
> because I hate vegetables!"
> unknown

-- Bernd Prager