Old 11-09-2009, 06:00 PM
"shampavman.cg"

Default Help needed in changing grub settings..

Hi,

I had to remove FC7 in favor of windows since I had space crunch .. and
moved it over to another machine.. But now I have loads of data on
windows that I cannot lose...After FC was removed to get into windows I
had to use,

rootnoverify (.. ,...) cmd..

This is not possible all the times as There are many people using this
machine.who do not know these things.. and I wont be around always...

Can i do it via some Linux distro Live cd and just boot into grub and do
something and perhaps re-install grub with the necessary changes made?

I could be doing this over the phone so can you please be as
descriptive as possible so that I dont end up with a bricked machine!!

Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
"H.S."

shampavman.cg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to remove FC7 in favor of windows since I had space crunch .. and
> moved it over to another machine.. But now I have loads of data on
> windows that I cannot lose...After FC was removed to get into windows I
> had to use,
> rootnoverify (.. ,...) cmd..
>
> This is not possible all the times as There are many people using this
> machine.who do not know these things.. and I wont be around always...
>
> Can i do it via some Linux distro Live cd and just boot into grub and do
> something and perhaps re-install grub with the necessary changes made?
>
> I could be doing this over the phone so can you please be as
> descriptive as possible so that I dont end up with a bricked machine!!
>
> Thanks

I think I am missing something. Are you saying that you removed FC from
the said machine and it has only Windows now? In that case, just do the
"fix mbr" procedure from Windows and you will not have to deal with grub
at all -- the machine will boot straight to Windows.

What you are asking above (rootnovirify method, from grub), would only
make sense if you still have grub installed and have multiple systems
installed as well. If you have no Linux OSes installed, you do not
really need grub and fixing the MBR would be the most convenient way.

ever having been read.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Mark

shampavman.cg wrote:

> Hi,

> I had to remove FC7 in favor of windows since I had space crunch .. and

> moved it over to another machine.. But now I have loads of data on

> windows that I cannot lose...After FC was removed to get into windows I

> had to use,

> rootnoverify (.. ,...) cmd..

If I understand correctly, by removing FC7 you also removed the boot loader, which now prevents Windows from loading.* I've fixed this before by inserting the Windows CD, entering Recovery Mode, and using "fixmbr" followed by "fixboot C:" commands.* This reinstalls the Windows MBR and you can boot to Windows to copy or backup your data.

> Can i do it via some Linux distro Live cd and just boot into grub and do

> something and perhaps re-install grub with the necessary changes made?

This is confusing, but FWIW I've done something similar before by booting via Ubuntu Live CD, mounting the Windows C: drive (whatever partition "sudo fdisk -l" tells you it is) to the /mnt directory, then copying the files to another media.

HTH.

Mark

Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 AM
"shampavman.cg"

H.S. wrote:

shampavman.cg wrote:

[...]

Ok.. But i've never tried the fixmbr trick .. will give it a go... and
see how it goes.

What you are asking above (rootnovirify method, from grub), would only
make sense if you still have grub installed and have multiple systems
installed as well. If you have no Linux OSes installed, you do not
really need grub and fixing the MBR would be the most convenient way.

Yes i still have grub but no distro to boot into ..
so Im forced to use the rootnoverify method thats all..

Shampavman c.g
www.shampavman.wordpress.com

Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 AM
"shampavman.cg"

Mark wrote:

shampavman.cg <http://shampavman.cg/> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to remove FC7 in favor of windows since I had space crunch .. and
> moved it over to another machine.. But now I have loads of data on
> windows that I cannot lose...After FC was removed to get into windows I
> had to use,
> rootnoverify (.. ,...) cmd..

If I understand correctly, by removing FC7 you also removed the boot
loader, which now prevents Windows from loading. I've fixed this
before by inserting the Windows CD, entering Recovery Mode, and using
"fixmbr" followed by "fixboot C:" commands. This reinstalls the
Windows MBR and you can boot to Windows to copy or backup your data.

i'll try with this itself and hope nothing happens.

> Can i do it via some Linux distro Live cd and just boot into grub and do
> something and perhaps re-install grub with the necessary changes made?

This is confusing, but FWIW I've done something similar before by
booting via Ubuntu Live CD, mounting the Windows C: drive (whatever
partition "sudo fdisk -l" tells you it is) to the /mnt directory, then
copying the files to another media.

I'll chuck this then.. I dont want anything to screw up when im not around.