Old 11-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Scott Berry

Default problem with kernel 2.6.26-smp

Hello there,

I am using the kernel in my subject. It seems as though this kernel
likes to lock up quite a bit when the CPu fan is at a higher rate of
speed due to other tasks being done in the background. I am using Lenny
and I never can remember before Debian being this unstable. Is there a
kernel in Lenny or a newer kernel I could try to see if things become
more stable? It seems to happen mostly when I use Gnome and Gnome
crashes as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Jochen Schulz

Scott Berry:

> I am using the kernel in my subject. It seems as though this kernel
> likes to lock up quite a bit when the CPu fan is at a higher rate of
> speed due to other tasks being done in the background. I am using Lenny
> and I never can remember before Debian being this unstable.

Sounds more like a thermal problem to me. Do you have lm-sensors
installed? What CPU model do you use? What's its temperature? How old is
the thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink?

> Is there a
> kernel in Lenny or a newer kernel I could try to see if things become
> more stable? It seems to happen mostly when I use Gnome and Gnome
> crashes as well.

What exactly crashes? Just Gnome or the whole machine? I suspect you are
mixing up two unrelated symptoms (but that's just a guess, of course).

J.
--
We are lining up to see you fall flat on your face.
[Agree] [Disagree]