Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default auto vs user installed

On Monday 09 November 2009 10:37:29 Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Aptitude marks some packages with '{a}' meaning automatically (or is it
> aptitude?) installed

It is automatically installed. While much of the software installation
process is always automated, this flag indicates that the package manager
pulled this software in as a dependency of some other software rather than
because the user specifically requested this.

> and some with '{u}' meaning user installed.

No. '{u}' indicates that the package is "unused". This means that the
package is both automatically installed, and there is currently no package
that depends on it installed.

Both apt-get and aptitude have a mode that removes all unused packages. I
thought aptitude's default behavior was to remove these as well.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 11-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Rick Pasotto

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 11:13:45AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 09 November 2009 10:37:29 Rick Pasotto wrote:
>
> > and some with '{u}' meaning user installed.
>
> No. '{u}' indicates that the package is "unused". This means that the
> package is both automatically installed, and there is currently no package
> that depends on it installed.

Ah! Thanks for correcting my confusion.

> Both apt-get and aptitude have a mode that removes all unused packages. I
> thought aptitude's default behavior was to remove these as well.

I suspect they *become* unused as other packages are upgraded.

--
"I do not hesitate to say, that those who call themselves Abolitionists
should at once effectually withdraw their support, both in person and