Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Mitchell Laks

Default debian ibook auto suspends to ram on nonuse. how to set up for other notebooks?

Hi,

I have an ibook G4 laptop that has run debian powerpc sid for years.

The battery really lasts a long time. I can leave it for days and it will
retain its charge. I assumed it was the hardware initially.

However upon reflection, I credit this, at least in part to the
aggressive memory saving features that it uses. However they just appeared on the laptop
when I did my install and I have no idea which software I installed is responsible.

I notice that

1. it very agressively dims the display when i don't hit keys
2. It suspends the display to ram very very quickly when it is not used.

I have installed debian on multiple other laptops and I have never had the same luck.
As soon as I disconnect from the power supply they rapidly run down in a short while.

I am trying to reproduce the "suspend to ram" on "lack of keyboard and mouse interaction". I
don't want to use gnome or kde. I use stumpwm.

I have read many articles on suspend to ram.

Now I am working with one laptop, an old fujitsu lifebook t4010d tablet
pc that i picked up for $200. It would really be nice to use this off the power cord.

If I do

echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

I can suspend to ram

If I do

echo -n disk > /sys/power/state

I can suspend to disk.

I am hopeful. I see on the fujitsu, If I do suspend to ram the machine will last
for many hours. If I don't suspend to ram it dies in 1-2 hours. Suspend to ram
is the key.

So how do I set up the fujitsu analgous to the way the debian ibook is setup so that it
will check for lack of keyboard or mouse activty and suspend to ram. What do I monitor?

I can write a script in bash or shell or else I can use a debian package.

Which package is it on the debian powerpc that does this?

I see on the ibook

pm-utils, powermgmt-base, powerprefs, powersaved powerpc-utils powertop

I suspect that pm-utils is involved, but which script is setting the automatic
suspend to ram feature on lack of keyboard and mouse motion?

Mitchell