-   -   How to change the domainname ???? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/277003-how-change-domainname.html)

"Erik Grootjans" 11-08-2009 06:34 PM

How to change the domainname ????

Hi,

I have a laptop, with a fixed ip-address, and i want to change its
domainname. The current domainname is: local.
So i did a compleet NEW installation of Debian 5.0 and formatted the file
system during installation. I did give the new domainname: thuis.local.

If i look at the /etc/host file, i see:
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.10 debian.thuis.local debian
I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOULD BE

If I look in /etc/resolv.conf.I see:
search thuis.local
nameserver 192.168.0.x
nameserver 192.168.0.y
I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOUL:D BE

If I look in /etc/network/interfaces. I see:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.10
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.z
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.x 192.168.0.y
dns-search thuis.local
I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOULD BE.

If i look in the /var/log/syslogfile, i see:
Nov 8 20:14:11 debian avahi-deamon[2464]: Server startup complete. Host name
is debian.local local service cookie is 3066543992.

Why is at startup the name debian.local ???
I have asked to give the hostname debian and the domainname thuis.local.

Why.
And more important how can i change it

Thanks

Klistvud 11-08-2009 06:56 PM

Dne, 08. 11. 2009 20:34:57 je Erik Grootjans napisal(a):

> Why is at startup the name debian.local ???
> I have asked to give the hostname debian and the domainname
> thuis.local.
>
> Why.
> And more important how can i change it

I have a desktop with a static address too; when trying to get its
name.domain shown in my router's configuration page, though, the only
thing that helped was to put this line:

send host-name "MyComputerName.MyDomain";

into /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf. *Although* it's not configured as a DHCP
client. Go figure ...
As to your first question, I can only try a wild guess: maybe it's
because you don't have an actual domain server and an actual domain?

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Tom H 11-08-2009 08:28 PM

How to change the domainname ????

> I have a laptop, with a fixed ip-address, and i want to change its
> domainname. The current domainname is: local.
> So i did a compleet NEW installation of Debian 5.0 and formatted the file
> system during installation. I did give the new domainname: thuis.local.

> If i look at the /etc/host file, i see:
> 127.0.0.1 * * * * * localhost
> 192.168.0.10 * *debian.thuis.local debian
> I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOULD BE

> If I look in /etc/resolv.conf.I see:
> search thuis.local
> nameserver 192.168.0.x
> nameserver 192.168.0.y
> I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOUL:D BE

> If I look in /etc/network/interfaces. I see:
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> allow-hotplug eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.0.10
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> broadcast 192.168.0.255
> gateway 192.168.0.z
> dns-nameservers 192.168.0.x 192.168.0.y
> dns-search thuis.local
> I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOULD BE.

> If i look in the /var/log/syslogfile, i see:
> Nov 8 20:14:11 debian avahi-deamon[2464]: Server startup complete. Host name
> is debian.local local service cookie is 3066543992.

> Why is at startup the name debian.local ???
> I have asked to give the hostname debian and the domainname thuis.local.
> And more important how can i change it

127.0.0.1 localhost.thuis.local localhost
127.0.0.1 debian.thuis.local debian # may not be necessary

Wayne 11-08-2009 10:24 PM

Erik Grootjans wrote:

[...]

Read the hostname man page. It tells you how to change it and the
domain name.

Wayne

"Erik Grootjans" 11-09-2009 10:25 AM

How to change the domainname ????

Thanks you, but this is not the answer to my question.
I did a compleet new install and marked don't keep data in the options of
the diskpartitioner.

I did give the hostname debian
and the domainname thuis.local
( I did a new installation because, some programs copy the domainname and
hostname into there configurationfile at installation. If you want to change
them, you have also to change them in the configfiles and i don't know which
programs that do and which not. So to be on the save side i did a new
installation!!!)

So why is in syslog the name debian.local ????

I have read the manpage hostname

I did:
#hostname
debian
#dnsdomainname
thuis.local
#hostname --fqdn
debian.thuis.local

This looks ok.

But why is there in syslog:
Nov 8 20:14:11 debian avahi-deamon[2464]: Server startup complete. Host name
is debian.local local service cookie is 3066543992

Thanks Erik

"Erik Grootjans" 11-09-2009 11:30 AM

[...]

Hi Tom,

I did the things you said, but unfortunatelly, it maded no change.

Thanks

I have changed the line in /etc/host
from 127.0.0.1 localhost into 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost -->
this makes no difference for the syslog file: the hostname there is still
debian.local

I added 127.0.0.1.debian.thuis.local debian --> I get no change. And
because i have seen in other logfiles, that this could give some messages
with binding the name to the ip-address, I commeted it out again.

There is no change in the line:
Nov 8 20:14:11 debian avahi-deamon[2464]: Server startup complete. Host name
is debian.local local service cookie is 3066543992. Only the cookie number
is different..

"Erik Grootjans" 11-09-2009 11:41 AM

How to change the domainname ????

I have added the line:
send host-name "MyComputerName.MyDomain";
to /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

I have looked in the syslog again and i get the same message;
avahi-deamon {2452]: Server start up complete. Hostname is debian.local
local service cookie is xxxxxx

So this is not the sollution
Do you have another idea

Thanks

Erik

Tom H 11-09-2009 01:20 PM

How to change the domainname ????

>> I have a laptop, with a fixed ip-address, and i want to change its
>> domainname. The current domainname is: local.
>> So i did a compleet NEW installation of Debian 5.0 and formatted the file
>> system during installation. I did give the new domainname: thuis.local.
>
>> If i look at the /etc/host file, i see:
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>> 192.168.0.10 debian.thuis.local debian
>> I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOULD BE
>
>> If I look in /etc/resolv.conf.I see:
>> search thuis.local
>> nameserver 192.168.0.x
>> nameserver 192.168.0.y
>> I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOUL:D BE
>
>> If I look in /etc/network/interfaces. I see:
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>> allow-hotplug eth0
>> iface eth0 inet static
>> address 192.168.0.10
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> broadcast 192.168.0.255
>> gateway 192.168.0.z
>> dns-nameservers 192.168.0.x 192.168.0.y
>> dns-search thuis.local
>> I THINK, THIS IS AS SHOULD BE.
>
>> If i look in the /var/log/syslogfile, i see:
>> Nov 8 20:14:11 debian avahi-deamon[2464]: Server startup complete. Host
>> name
>> is debian.local local service cookie is 3066543992.
>
>> Why is at startup the name debian.local ???
>> I have asked to give the hostname debian and the domainname thuis.local.
>> And more important how can i change it
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.thuis.local localhost
> 127.0.0.1 debian.thuis.local debian * # may not be necessary
>

> Hi Tom,
>
> I did the things you said, but unfortunatelly, it maded no change.
>
> Thanks
>
> I have changed the line in /etc/host
> from 127.0.0.1 localhost into 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost -->
> this makes no difference for the syslog file: the hostname there is still
> debian.local
>

> I added 127.0.0.1.debian.thuis.local debian --> I get no change. And because
> i have seen in other logfiles, that this could give some messages with
> binding the name to the ip-address, I commeted it out again.
>
> There is no change in the line:
> Nov 8 20:14:11 debian avahi-deamon[2464]: Server startup complete. Host name
> is debian.local local service cookie is 3066543992. Only the cookie number
> is different..

I saw an email today suggesting to use the FQDN in /etc/hostname so
you could try that (although I personally have only ever used the
"regular" hostname there).

After emailing you, the .local suffix rang a bell and looking at your
emails now confirms it. .local is an avahi-specific suffix and your
log message comes from avahi-daemon. There is a setting (through the
"hosts" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf, I think, although it does not make
sense offhand) which instructs avahi not to append .local when you are
using .local as a unicast domain.