FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default AVAHI cupsd warning

I was browsing my /var/log files this morning, and happened to tail messages.
I found these:
Nov 7 14:22:05 paulandcilla cupsd[23014]: *** WARNING *** The program 'cupsd'
uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
Nov 7 14:22:05 paulandcilla cupsd[23014]: *** WARNING *** Please fix your
application to use the native API of Avahi!
Nov 7 14:22:05 paulandcilla cupsd[23014]: *** WARNING *** For more
information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=cupsd>

# dpkg --list cups
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==============-==============-============================================
ii cups 1.3.8-1+lenny6 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii cupsys-client 1.3.8-1+lenny6
Common UNIX Printing System (transitional package)
ii cupsys-driver-gutenprint 5.0.2-4
printer drivers for CUPS
ii gnome-cups-manager 0.31-3+b1
CUPS printer admin tool for GNOME
ii hal-cups-utils 0.6.16-3
Utilities to detect and configure printers automatically
ii libcups2 1.3.8-1+lenny6
Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii libcups2-dev 1.3.8-1+lenny6
Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - development files
ii libcupsimage2 1.3.8-1+lenny6
Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - image libs
ii libcupsys2 1.3.8-1+lenny6
Common UNIX Printing System (transitional package)
ii libcupsys2-dev 1.3.8-1+lenny6
Common UNIX Printing System (transitional package)
ii libgnomecups1.0-1 0.2.3-3
GNOME library for CUPS interaction
ii libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a 0.31-3+b1
UI extensions to libgnomecups
ii pipslite-cups 1.0.3-2
Photo Image Print System Lite
ii python-cups 1.9.31-1
Python bindings for CUPS
ii python-cupsutils 1.0.0-4lenny1
Python utility modules around the CUPS printing system



so, I guess my question is, do I need to change anything?

running lenny, up-2-date

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Frank Lin PIAT
 
Default AVAHI cupsd warning

Hello,

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 09:14 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I was browsing my /var/log files this morning, and happened to tail messages.
> I found these:
> Nov 7 14:22:05 paulandcilla cupsd[23014]: *** WARNING *** The program 'cupsd'
> uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi.
> Nov 7 14:22:05 paulandcilla cupsd[23014]: *** WARNING *** Please fix your
> application to use the native API of Avahi!
> Nov 7 14:22:05 paulandcilla cupsd[23014]: *** WARNING *** For more
> information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=cupsd>

The version of cups provided in Lenny[1] uses a compatibility layer of
Avahi (package libavahi-compat-libdnssd1).
Therefore, Avahi is complaining/suggesting the developer [of cups], to
use avahi libraries directly.

FYI, this has been fixed in the version of cups in Testing (it now uses
Avahi's native library: "libavahi-client3")

> # dpkg --list cups
> ii cups 1.3.8-1+lenny6 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
[..]
>
> so, I guess my question is, do I need to change anything?
>
> running lenny, up-2-date

This message is intended to the developers (i.e it isn't intended to you
[the system admin]).
You can safely ignore this message.

Regards,

Franklin

[1] http://packages.debian.org/lenny/cups
[2] http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/cups



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Paul Cartwright
 
Default AVAHI cupsd warning

On Sun November 8 2009, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> FYI, this has been fixed in the version of cups in Testing *(it now uses
> Avahi's native library: "libavahi-client3")

great ! Just good to know there isn't anything I did wrong. I can safely
ignore it, until I get to testing
I was thinking of upgrading to testing anyway.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Frank Lin PIAT
 
Default AVAHI cupsd warning

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 17:44 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Sun November 8 2009, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> > FYI, this has been fixed in the version of cups in Testing (it now uses
> > Avahi's native library: "libavahi-client3")
>
> great ! Just good to know there isn't anything I did wrong. I can safely
> ignore it, until I get to testing
> I was thinking of upgrading to testing anyway.

(Usual disclaimer)

Using Debian stable is the right thing to do.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org