Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Wodim Woes - Correction

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 08:47:56AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:24:43PM -0600, Adam Porter wrote:
> > Thomas H. George wrote:
> >
> > > wodim --scanbus finds a cdrw device at 0,0,0 but
> > >
> > > wodim -v dev=0,0,0 data.iso goes crazy and says it is trying to access
> > > /dev/hda and then /dev/hdb
> > >
> > > My system is lenny with a linux-image-2.6.22-3-686 kernel.
> > >
> > > What is wrong and how can I fix it.
> >
> > I don't know, but it might help for you to provide the actual console
> > commands and output. Also, describe your system's hardware, and see if it
> > works in other Linux distros or other OS'es.
> >
> Those are the actual console commands given above.
>
> I have found that wodim --devices finds the two ide drives, a cdrom drive
> and a cdrw drive, but I normally burned cd's with a sony usb cdrw drive.
> After last night's adventures the usb drive appears to be dead. wodim
> --scanbus found it at 0,0,0 but as stated above went crazy trying to
> write to it. I then made the mistake of telling wodim to write to
> /dev/sg0, the location reported when the usb drive was connected. wodim
> tried and failed. After this the usb device is no longer recognized
> when it is connected. My fault. I'll miss the usb drive as it was an
> external drive I could move to another system. If wodim can work with
> an external usb drive I will replace it.

Correction: I rebooted and the usb cdrw drive is alive and well.

wodim --scanbus still reports it as device 0,0,0 but wodim --devices
finds it as dev='/dev/scd0' and the command wodim -v dev='dev/scd0'
data.iso works perfectly.

Maybe everybody else knew to use the output of wodim --devices rather
than wodim --scanbus but old habits die hard.