Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   mkdosfs hangs while scanning for bad blocks (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/276719-mkdosfs-hangs-while-scanning-bad-blocks.html)

11-08-2009 12:43 AM

mkdosfs hangs while scanning for bad blocks
 
Anybody know what's going on or can help debug
this at least?

Running squeeze I am having trouble reformatting a

* 64MB memory stick and a
* 160GB 2.5" HD in a USB linked
external enclosure

using "mkdosfs -c /dev/sd{ag}1".

In both cases the process hung while checking for
bad blocks. ps shows the process to be in
uninteruptible sleep. man ps says that it is
probably related to IO.

I eventually got the memory stick to finish but
the external HD still hangs (at the same block
count, at least, on 3 of the tries).

kill -KILL doesn't unjam the process. Only unplugging
the drive seems to free things up. If you plugg
it back in right away, it will start counting
off blocks as it checks again and finishes. But, the
filesystem mounts as ext3 because...

"mke2fs -c -j /dev/sda1" will work just fine on this drive.

Thanks,

will
--

whollygoat@letterboxes.org

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - IMAP accessible web-mail


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

John Allen 11-08-2009 08:46 AM

mkdosfs hangs while scanning for bad blocks
 
whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:

Anybody know what's going on or can help debug
this at least?

Running squeeze I am having trouble reformatting a

* 64MB memory stick and a
* 160GB 2.5" HD in a USB linked
external enclosure


using "mkdosfs -c /dev/sd{ag}1".



I can report the same happens on Lenny with the latest amd64 kernel.

In both cases the process hung while checking for
bad blocks. ps shows the process to be in
uninteruptible sleep. man ps says that it is
probably related to IO.


I eventually got the memory stick to finish but
the external HD still hangs (at the same block
count, at least, on 3 of the tries).

kill -KILL doesn't unjam the process. Only unplugging
the drive seems to free things up. If you plugg
it back in right away, it will start counting
off blocks as it checks again and finishes. But, the
filesystem mounts as ext3 because...

"mke2fs -c -j /dev/sda1" will work just fine on this drive.

Thanks,

will




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

11-11-2009 06:28 AM

mkdosfs hangs while scanning for bad blocks
 
On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 09:46 +0000, "John Allen" <john.allen@dublinux.net>
wrote:
> whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:
> > Anybody know what's going on or can help debug
> > this at least?
> >
> > Running squeeze I am having trouble reformatting a
> >
> > * 64MB memory stick and a
> > * 160GB 2.5" HD in a USB linked
> > external enclosure
> >
> > using "mkdosfs -c /dev/sd{ag}1".
> >
> >
> I can report the same happens on Lenny with the latest amd64 kernel.

What kind of medium did you try to format,
and how big is it?

I tried this with a live grml cd and it choked there
as well. No luck getting the drive recognized under
dos. Think I will try making a couple of smaller
partitions and see if that works any better.

Thanks for you comment

will

--

whollygoat@letterboxes.org

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Send your email first class


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

John Allen 11-11-2009 02:23 PM

mkdosfs hangs while scanning for bad blocks
 
whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 09:46 +0000, "John Allen" <john.allen@dublinux.net>
wrote:


whollygoat@letterboxes.org wrote:


Anybody know what's going on or can help debug
this at least?

Running squeeze I am having trouble reformatting a

* 64MB memory stick and a
* 160GB 2.5" HD in a USB linked
external enclosure


using "mkdosfs -c /dev/sd{ag}1".




I can report the same happens on Lenny with the latest amd64 kernel.



What kind of medium did you try to format,
and how big is it?


2G SD card, it had been reporting read errors in my camera, so I thought
I'd reformat with -c :(

I tried this with a live grml cd and it choked there
as well. No luck getting the drive recognized under
dos. Think I will try making a couple of smaller
partitions and see if that works any better.

Thanks for you comment

will





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.