Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Virgo Pärna

Default Major problems 2.6.26 kernel in lenny

When I upgraded my Debian computer form Etch to Lenny, I had to give up
running 2.6.26 kernel for following reasons (computer has AMD Sempron 3000+
CPU).
1. 686 version kernel crashed, when accessing listing files in mounted share
from Windows 95 computer, if filenames contained accented characters.
2. with amd64 version of kernel I could not use smbumount as user.
So I reverted to 2.6.18 kernel. But since smbmount doesn't support accented
characters with Window 95 anymore at all, I changed my backup script (that
accessed that Windows 95 share) to use smbclient. So I desided to try 2.6.26
kernel again.
In the meantime, there have been updates to 2.6.26 kernel, so it's no more
same version, that I tried immediatly after upgrade from Etch.
Now, with 686 kernel, I can no longer boot up - it just stops, when
checking disks - it shows, that it sucessfully checked /boot partition, that
has ext3 filesystem, but that's all. Other partitions have jfs filesystem.
Amd64 kernel boots up fine, but it still cannot unmount smbmounted shares
as user.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee

Old 11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Virgo Pärna put forth on 11/7/2009 2:12 AM:
> When I upgraded my Debian computer form Etch to Lenny, I had to give up
> running 2.6.26 kernel for following reasons (computer has AMD Sempron 3000+
> CPU).
> 1. 686 version kernel crashed, when accessing listing files in mounted share
> from Windows 95 computer, if filenames contained accented characters.
> 2. with amd64 version of kernel I could not use smbumount as user.
> So I reverted to 2.6.18 kernel. But since smbmount doesn't support accented
> characters with Window 95 anymore at all, I changed my backup script (that
> accessed that Windows 95 share) to use smbclient. So I desided to try 2.6.26
> kernel again.
> In the meantime, there have been updates to 2.6.26 kernel, so it's no more
> same version, that I tried immediatly after upgrade from Etch.
> Now, with 686 kernel, I can no longer boot up - it just stops, when
> checking disks - it shows, that it sucessfully checked /boot partition, that
> has ext3 filesystem, but that's all. Other partitions have jfs filesystem.
> Amd64 kernel boots up fine, but it still cannot unmount smbmounted shares
> as user.

Sounds like it's time to retire that Win95 PC, or upgrade it to Linux.

--
Stan

Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 AM
Virgo Pärna

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 14:07:14 -0600, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Sounds like it's time to retire that Win95 PC, or upgrade it to Linux.

It has it's use. But currently that's not the problem.I can make backup from
that computer Problem is, that linux computer cannot boot (686 version of 2.6.26-2
kernel) or cannot unmount any cifs/smbfs shares as user (amd64 version of 2.6.26-2
kernel). And, while this unmounting problem was there from the beginning, I could
sucessfully boot earlier 2.6.26 kernel in Lenny. But I cannot boot with current.
And since there is no error message, I don't even know, what to report as bug.
>From the boot log on screen I see, that it starts checking partitions (on 2 hard
drivers). I see, that it starts to checkings of jfs partitions at same time (1 on
each disk), one is completed, then ext3 /boot partition is checked and that's it.
It just stops. No disk activity. Nothing.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee

Old 11-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Frank Lin PIAT

Hello,

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 08:12 +0000, Virgo Pärna wrote:
> When I upgraded my Debian computer form Etch to Lenny, I had to give up
> running 2.6.26 kernel for following reasons (computer has AMD Sempron 3000+
> CPU).
> [..]

> Now, with 686 kernel, I can no longer boot up - it just stops, when
> checking disks - it shows, that it sucessfully checked /boot partition, that
> has ext3 filesystem, but that's all.

Did you try to start in runlevel 1 (i.e "recovery mode")?
What happens when you "fsck" your partition?
Your problem might be the next script (in /etc/rcS.d/).

I doubt it would change anything, but did you try -486 kernel?

> Other partitions have jfs filesystem.
> Amd64 kernel boots up fine, but it still cannot unmount smbmounted shares
> as user.

Well, as a workaround, you could write a perl script to run with sudo.

Regarding your bugs:

-> not supported by developers, because the client OS isn't
supported anymore.

-> You could ask the maintainers if they need more information on this
bug. You could describe the other scenario that you have tested:
Which other kernel you tried? Do you have the problem with other
client computer (running a recent version of windows)? What does
"mount | grep /mnt" shows?

Hope this helps,

Franklin

Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Virgo Pärna

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 12:12:41 +0100, Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> wrote:

> Did you try to start in runlevel 1 (i.e "recovery mode")?
> What happens when you "fsck" your partition?
> Your problem might be the next script (in /etc/rcS.d/).

Same thing happens in single user mode. And it doesn't complete
checking all partitions. So it should not be about next script. When
amd64 kernel boots successfully, then there are much more messages about
checking disks.

> I doubt it would change anything, but did you try -486 kernel?

No, only with amd64 kernel. And that boot's successfully. Also, 2.6.18
from Etch boots successfully - and I'm using that currently. And, since that
particular computer is small server, I rally don't want to experiment much.
And immediatly after upgrading from etch to lenny it booted fine (but I
reverted to 2.6.18, because of crashing problem with Win95/98/ME shares).

>> Other partitions have jfs filesystem.
>> Amd64 kernel boots up fine, but it still cannot unmount smbmounted shares
>> as user.
>
> Well, as a workaround, you could write a perl script to run with sudo.

Probably, but it's still weird bug.

> Regarding your bugs:

> -> not supported by developers, because the client OS isn't
> supported anymore.

I understand that. And that's why I changed my backup of old Windows 95
computer to use smbclient as workaround.

> -> You could ask the maintainers if they need more information on this
> bug. You could describe the other scenario that you have tested:
> Which other kernel you tried? Do you have the problem with other
> client computer (running a recent version of windows)? What does
> "mount | grep /mnt" shows?

That problem is also with Windows XP (haven't checked with Vista).
And after error share is still mounted and I can list it's contents.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee