Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Patter

Default mutt and utf-8 (was: character encoding)

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 12:20:10 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 13:50:59 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I've found that if I generate an utf-8 locale it messes up the little
>> arrows in mutt's index.
>
> Sometimes the locale settings do not get passed on to mutt correctly,
> depending on how mutt is started. I think the best test is to use "!" to
> run "locale" from within mutt. Does that show all settings are correct?

You can also add

set charset="utf8"

to ~/.muttrc to force utf8 encoding, though you may also need a utf8
xterm/console font.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve@patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter@jabber.earth.li

Old 01-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:02:39PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 13:50:59 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I've found that if I generate an utf-8 locale it messes up the little
> > arrows in mutt's index.
>
> Sometimes the locale settings do not get passed on to mutt correctly,
> depending on how mutt is started. I think the best test is to use "!" to
> run "locale" from within mutt. Does that show all settings are correct?
>
> > Also a lot of manpages don't show correctly.
>
> That could be a terminal or font problem (see below); sometimes,
> however, the manpages themselves are to blame.
>
> > I have to set LC_CTYPE to a non utf-8 locale.
> >
> > But I wonder if it is also the choice of console font.
>
> Try these simple tests:
>
> echo -e "303244"
>
> should give you an "ä" (lowercase a-umlaut) on a utf-8 terminal. If you

Yep, ok.

> The a-umlaut is not a particularly fancy character, so you should also
> try this:
>
> echo -e "342224224342224200076"
>
> should give you "└─>" (mutt's arrow showing a reply in a thread).

Yep, ok.

I deleted the LC_CTYPE="en_NZ" line in my .bashrc and everything is now
showing fine.

--
Chris.
======

Old 01-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Alex Samad

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:02:39PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 13:50:59 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I've found that if I generate an utf-8 locale it messes up the little
> > arrows in mutt's index.
>
> Sometimes the locale settings do not get passed on to mutt correctly,
> depending on how mutt is started. I think the best test is to use "!" to
> run "locale" from within mutt. Does that show all settings are correct?
>
> > Also a lot of manpages don't show correctly.
>
> That could be a terminal or font problem (see below); sometimes,
> however, the manpages themselves are to blame.
>
> > I have to set LC_CTYPE to a non utf-8 locale.
> >
> > But I wonder if it is also the choice of console font.
>
> Try these simple tests:
>
> echo -e "303244"
>
> should give you an "ä" (lowercase a-umlaut) on a utf-8 terminal. If you
> see two characters instead it means that your terminal does not use
> utf-8. If you get one "placeholder" symbol, e.g. an empty square or a
> question mark, then your font does not provide the a-umlaut character.
>
> The a-umlaut is not a particularly fancy character, so you should also
> try this:
>
> echo -e "342224224342224200076"
>
> should give you "└─>" (mutt's arrow showing a reply in a thread).
I use urxvtd (a rxvt deamon), when I start a windows from rxvt (non deamon) and
try echo -e "303244" I get the a-umlaut, then I start another window from
the urxvt window and try it I don't get the a-umlaut. I ran set | sort >
/tmp/1 and /tmp/2 from the working and the non working windows and the only
differences where

_
OLDPWD
PIPESTATUS
PWD
SHLVL
WINDOWID

locale gives me similar results in both windows?

locale
LANG=en_AU.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_AU.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_AU.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_AU.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_AU.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_AU.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_AU.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_AU.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_AU.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AU.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Alex Samad

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 05:40:17PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:02:39PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 13:50:59 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > I've found that if I generate an utf-8 locale it messes up the little
> > > arrows in mutt's index.
> >
> > Sometimes the locale settings do not get passed on to mutt correctly,
> > depending on how mutt is started. I think the best test is to use "!" to
> > run "locale" from within mutt. Does that show all settings are correct?
> >
> > > Also a lot of manpages don't show correctly.
> >
> > That could be a terminal or font problem (see below); sometimes,
> > however, the manpages themselves are to blame.
> >
> > > I have to set LC_CTYPE to a non utf-8 locale.
> > >
> > > But I wonder if it is also the choice of console font.
> >
> > Try these simple tests:
> >
> > echo -e "303244"
> >
> > should give you an "ä" (lowercase a-umlaut) on a utf-8 terminal. If you
> > see two characters instead it means that your terminal does not use
> > utf-8. If you get one "placeholder" symbol, e.g. an empty square or a
> > question mark, then your font does not provide the a-umlaut character.
> >
> > The a-umlaut is not a particularly fancy character, so you should also
> > try this:
> >
> > echo -e "342224224342224200076"
> >
> > should give you "└─>" (mutt's arrow showing a reply in a thread).
> I use urxvtd (a rxvt deamon), when I start a windows from rxvt (non deamon) and
> try echo -e "303244" I get the a-umlaut, then I start another window from
> the urxvt window and try it I don't get the a-umlaut. I ran set | sort >
> /tmp/1 and /tmp/2 from the working and the non working windows and the only
> differences where
>
> _
> OLDPWD
> PIPESTATUS
> PWD
> SHLVL
> WINDOWID
>

> locale gives me similar results in both windows?
>
> locale
> LANG=en_AU.utf8
> LC_CTYPE="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_TIME="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_PAPER="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_NAME="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AU.utf8"
> LC_ALL=

found my problem, I have LC_ALL=c in /etc/profile I changed my
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/98-urxvtd to do an unset LC_ALL and it is working now.

why do I have a LC_ALL=c (seem to remember) it is so that my apache and other
services run under 'c' locale, I wonder if I still need this