Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM
"Jose G. López"

Default no higher resolution on grub2-screen

Christian escribió:
> Hello out there,
> I have a problem regarding grub2 or what is now called grub.
> I want to change the screen-resolution of my grub-screen (first the
> grub-screen, if this works also the console), but if I write a
> "GRUB_GFXMODE=1400x1050" into /etc/default/grub and invoke update-grub,
> the grub-screen is still 640x480.
> I asked for the actual screen-mode with vbetest on the grub-console and
> it is really 0x101 which means 640x480.
> In my /boot/grub/grub.cfg I have the desired line "set
> gfxmode=1400x1050", but it is totally ignored by grub.
>
> Where is the problem? Can anybody help.
> Ah yes, I use Squeeze and a thinkpad T60.
>
> Thank you...
>
> Christian

Hi Christian,

Did you uncomment that line. I show you mine.
The gfxpayload=keep parameter will keep your resolution also for the
console.

/etc/default/grub
- ----------------------
# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via
# VBE you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600x32

/etc/grub.d/00_header
- ----------------------
case x${GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT} in
xgfxterm)
# Make the font accessible
prepare_grub_to_access_device `${grub_probe} --target=device
${GRUB_FONT_PATH}`

cat << EOF
if loadfont `make_system_path_relative_to_its_root ${GRUB_FONT_PATH}` ; then
set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
set gfxpayload=keep
insmod gfxterm
insmod ${GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND}
if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
# For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that
# don't understand terminal_output
terminal gfxterm
fi
fi
EOF

/boot/grub/grub.cfg
- ----------------------
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
set default=0
insmod ext2
set root=(hd2,6)
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set abf59e31-2de1-4ba7-9ed4-7e15b1a0db23
if loadfont /share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
set gfxmode=800x600x32
set gfxpayload=keep
insmod gfxterm
insmod vbe
if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
# For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that
# don't understand terminal_output
terminal gfxterm
fi
fi