Old 11-22-2007, 04:05 AM
"David Schulberg"

Default System won't boot after successful Debian installation

Hi,

Â*

I have installed Debian 4.0 without any apparent problem.
However when I boot the PC I am getting the error ‘Primary master hard disk
fail’.

When the computer starts up the BIOS recognizes my sole HD
as the primary master.

Â*

Is this a problem with the hard disk itself? The HD is a new
warranty replacement from Western Digital so I would expect it to be OK.

Â*

Regards,

David

email: davids@evertech.com.au

Old 11-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

David Schulberg wrote:

Hi,

I have installed Debian 4.0 without any apparent problem. However when I
boot the PC I am getting the error ‘Primary master hard disk fail’.

When the computer starts up the BIOS recognizes my sole HD as the
primary master.

Is this a problem with the hard disk itself? The HD is a new warranty
replacement from Western Digital so I would expect it to be OK.

What does Knoppix say about the HD?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Nate Bargmann

* David Schulberg <davids@evertech.com.au> [2007 Nov 21 23:04 -0600]:
> Hi,
>

> I have installed Debian 4.0 without any apparent problem. However when I
> boot the PC I am getting the error 'Primary master hard disk fail'.
>
> When the computer starts up the BIOS recognizes my sole HD as the primary
> master.

Where did you install Grub? It will need to be installed in the MBR if
Etch is the only OS on the drive. The Debian installer has a rescue
mode that I've used once or twice to help recover from an error.

- Nate >>

--
Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB | Successfully Microsoft
Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @ | free since January 1998.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

David Schulberg wrote:

Hi,

I have installed Debian 4.0 without any apparent problem. However when I
boot the PC I am getting the error ‘Primary master hard disk fail’.

When the computer starts up the BIOS recognizes my sole HD as the
primary master.

Try booting some live cd/usb and see if your hard disk is accessible.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 11-22-2007, 12:41 PM
"David Schulberg"

Hi,

When you say the Debian installer has a rescue mode, does that mean I should
run the same installation CD that I ran when I installed Debian? How
specifically can I address what you suggest is a Grub issue?

David

Old 11-22-2007, 01:17 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 12:41:26AM +1100, David Schulberg wrote:
> When you say the Debian installer has a rescue mode, does that mean I should
> run the same installation CD that I ran when I installed Debian? How
> specifically can I address what you suggest is a Grub issue?

Read the installation manual.

Rescue mode is activated from the install CD boot prompt with the word
'rescue'.

Ensure that you installed grub in e.g. /dev/hda and not /dev/hda1

Doug.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Cassiano Bertol Leal

Old 11-22-2007, 11:33 PM
"David Schulberg"

Hi,

I went through the entire installation process again to see if I could end
up with a bootable installation.

The GRUB boot loader installs by default. I select to install the GRUB boot
loader to the master boot record. The installation reports at completion
that it will boot into the new system I have just installed.

However when the system reboots it reports 'Primary master hard disk fail'.
I am at my wits end. The standard installation process has failed!!

Not being a Linux guru I would really appreciate some specific pointers as
to how to sort this problem out.

I looked at 'rescue' and I see that I can shell into my installation but
what to check and what to do to sort this out???

Furthermore as the BIOS reports the presence of a Primary Master I assume
that my HD is OK, especially as it is a totally new replacement drive.

David

Old 11-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

David Schulberg wrote:

Hi,

I went through the entire installation process again to see if I could end
up with a bootable installation.

The GRUB boot loader installs by default. I select to install the GRUB boot
loader to the master boot record. The installation reports at completion
that it will boot into the new system I have just installed.

However when the system reboots it reports 'Primary master hard disk fail'.
I am at my wits end. The standard installation process has failed!!

It appears that your system is able to boot from a cd but not from the
harddisk. If it is an ide disk, then I think something might be wrong
with the jumper settings for specifying whether the disk should be a
master or a slave. Worth a look, I guess.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Charlie

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, David Schulberg shared this with us all:
>--} I went through the entire installation process again to see if I could
> end --} up with a bootable installation.

Coming late into this thread, I just wonder if you partitioned the hard drive
during the install process? Any help I may attempt to give could be right off
the wall, not being a Linux guru and never having installed without keeping
control of the whole process myself.

So when you placed the media into the drive, and typed <expert> at the boot
prompt and went through all the language and keyboard and those things, then
came to detecting the hard drive. It all went well?

Then you custom partitioned the hard disk? Added a </> partition of about
500MB or larger, depending if you want to install more operating systems in
the future?

Then went through the installing the base system, creating a root password, a
user password, configured the package manager, and then allowed grub to look
about? Grub looked about and found no other operating system or maybe a
windows system? Declared this and asked if it should install itself in the
MBR? You clicked on <Yes> or <continue> It installed itself and rather than
allow the system to put mega packages onto your system, you clicked on finish
the installation, and your media was ejected and the machine rebooted. But
couldn't reboot? Got hung up somewhere? But there were no error messages
during the install?

Is that right?

Or did you just install by hitting the enter key when the media presented you
with a boot prompt, went through the processing, which I have never done and
so can't comment on, and did the same the second time and expected something
different?

If that's the case, try the method roughly dscribed above. It's true that you
will have to do the work of installing packages after a successful reboot.
But at least you will know that your hard drive is fine, found and can be
booted?

Maybe not much help, but something there might be of assistance.

Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524