Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Configuring server with a virtual package (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/2756-configuring-server-virtual-package.html)

Alex Samad 11-22-2007 04:00 AM

Configuring server with a virtual package
 
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 03:29:46PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am in the process of rebuilding one of my servers and I thought hey why not
> build a package, that links all the other packages I need, and the
> corresponding configuration files.
>
> I am having a look at debhelper and maint-guide.
>
> for example for server test.acme.com
>
> I was going to create a package test.acme.com and making it dependant on the
> required packages (I can specific a base minimum).
>
> Any one else done this, what hurdles might I face ? How am i going to handle 2
> packages owning a file, for example for bind and my custom package and the file
> /etc/bind/named.conf ???
I have done some more reading and come across the Replaces option to replace
files in other packages

>
>
> Alex
>

Andrei Popescu 11-22-2007 08:14 PM

Configuring server with a virtual package
 
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 03:29:46PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am in the process of rebuilding one of my servers and I thought hey why not
> build a package, that links all the other packages I need, and the
> corresponding configuration files.

<nitpick>
This sounds more like a meta-package.
</nitpick>

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)

Alex Samad 11-22-2007 08:32 PM

Configuring server with a virtual package
 
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:14:03PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 03:29:46PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am in the process of rebuilding one of my servers and I thought hey why not
> > build a package, that links all the other packages I need, and the
> > corresponding configuration files.
>
> <nitpick>
> This sounds more like a meta-package.
> </nitpick>
sounds interesting, did a quick google and found debian-med ? is this the
stuff you are talking about ?
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> --
> If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
> (Albert Einstein)

Steve Kemp 11-22-2007 08:39 PM

Configuring server with a virtual package
 
On Fri Nov 23, 2007 at 08:32:03 +1100, Alex Samad wrote:

> > <nitpick>
> > This sounds more like a meta-package.
> > </nitpick>

> sounds interesting, did a quick google and found debian-med ? is this the
> stuff you are talking about ?

debian-med is an example of a meta-package.

A meta-package is a package which exists soley to pull in
dependencies. For example I use several packages upon
my desktop to customise my environment:

steve-desktop
- This package installs no files, but it depends upon
things like 'iceweasel', 'emacs21', etc. This means
a simple 'apt-get install steve-desktop' will get me
most of the programs I care about in one go.

steve-completion
- Installs a bunch of files into /etc/bash_completion.d/ to
give additional bash completion.

Creation meta-packages can be done easily via the 'equivs'
package. (See 'apt-cache show equivs' for a brief intro)

Meta-packages, and packages for configuration files, are a little
advanced for typical users, but they are remarkably useful.

Steve
--


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Alex Samad 11-22-2007 08:43 PM

Configuring server with a virtual package
 
On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 08:32:03AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:14:03PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 03:29:46PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am in the process of rebuilding one of my servers and I thought hey why not
> > > build a package, that links all the other packages I need, and the
> > > corresponding configuration files.
> >
> > <nitpick>
> > This sounds more like a meta-package.
> > </nitpick>
> sounds interesting, did a quick google and found debian-med ? is this the
> stuff you are talking about ?
read some more, this is not all about meta packages

this seems to be a quick howto

http://people.debian.org/~tille/cdd/ap-QuickIntro.en.html
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrei
> > --
> > If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
> > (Albert Einstein)
>
>

Andrei Popescu 11-22-2007 08:51 PM

Configuring server with a virtual package
 
On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 08:32:03AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:14:03PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 03:29:46PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am in the process of rebuilding one of my servers and I thought hey why not
> > > build a package, that links all the other packages I need, and the
> > > corresponding configuration files.
> >
> > <nitpick>
> > This sounds more like a meta-package.
> > </nitpick>
> sounds interesting, did a quick google and found debian-med ? is this the
> stuff you are talking about ?

Try this for an explanation.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)

Alex Samad 11-22-2007 09:16 PM

Configuring server with a virtual package
 
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 09:39:52PM +0000, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Fri Nov 23, 2007 at 08:32:03 +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
>
> > > <nitpick>
> > > This sounds more like a meta-package.
> > > </nitpick>
>
> > sounds interesting, did a quick google and found debian-med ? is this the
> > stuff you are talking about ?
>
> debian-med is an example of a meta-package.
>
> A meta-package is a package which exists soley to pull in
> dependencies. For example I use several packages upon
> my desktop to customise my environment:
>
> steve-desktop
> - This package installs no files, but it depends upon
> things like 'iceweasel', 'emacs21', etc. This means
> a simple 'apt-get install steve-desktop' will get me
> most of the programs I care about in one go.
>
> steve-completion
> - Installs a bunch of files into /etc/bash_completion.d/ to
> give additional bash completion.
>
> Creation meta-packages can be done easily via the 'equivs'
> package. (See 'apt-cache show equivs' for a brief intro)


sounds exactly like what I am trying to do, downloading equivs now

>
> Meta-packages, and packages for configuration files, are a little
> advanced for typical users, but they are remarkably useful.

I have had a go a building some packages before, but it has been a while, all i
do know is make changes to the code and run make mk-debs, forgotton the magic
behind there.

How do you get around the config file problem, for instance I want have a
package to setup my ldap server, I would like to just go apt-get install
<servername>.ldap and have it bring in the depend packages like slapd, but at
the end of the slapd install to actually over write the slapd.conf and other
files. Do I mark this up as a Replaces action or do i do it via the install
scripts ? The later seems easier and I get a chance to make backup of the
files



>
> Steve
> --
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.