-   -   boot problems with the compiled kernel 2.6.23 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/27517-boot-problems-compiled-kernel-2-6-23-a.html)

tharanga Wijethilake 01-03-2008 07:30 AM

boot problems with the compiled kernel 2.6.23

hi all,
I compiled the kernel 2.6.23 and did it in several ways but at each time end up in getting the following error at the boot time.

Check root = bootarg cat /cmdline
or missing module or devices; cat /proc/modules ls dev
ALERT /dev/sda4 does not exist Dropping to shell

BusyBox......
and then it drops to (initramfs) prompt.

checked the commands(cat /proc/cmdline) at that point which gives me
/dev/sda4 response and my device map is also set to "(hd0) /dev/sda4".
Please help me in this to solve this.l

The methods I followed were

make O=/home/tharanga/kernels/2.6.23 menuconfig
make O=...
make O=.. modules_install install

I also tried to do it in
make O=/home/tharanga/kernels/2.6.23 menuconfig

make O=...

make O=..* modules

make O=..* modules_install
make install

and
then I use mkinitrd to genarate inird.img files which was did not give
me any exceptions* and then used update-initrams -c to do the same
thing which was with out any exceptions.
Then I did update-grub and
when the booting falied with that I manually edited the mnu.list file
which I double chekced and root = /dev/sda4 is correctly set. I am out
of ideas now.

can any body suggest me what should I do to for this.

Thank you very much in advance and hope one of you guys will be assisting me in this.

~Tharanga