Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 AM
"Steven Jones"

Default Java JDK install hangs.

Im new to Debian but have several years Fedora experience. I have a
fresh Debian installation (Debian 40r4 net install) to which I am
trying to add sun-java5-jdk_1.5.0-10-3_i386.deb using dpkg -i. The
problem starts when I'm asked to agree to the license. At the bottom
of the license text is an "OK" button. Presumably I'm to select it but
it isn't active. No matter what I've tried I am unable to get past
this screen.

Having no other alternatives I aborted the install. Running dpkg
--audit shows Java as half installed and suggest the package be either
removed or reinstalled. Trying to remove it producese an error that
it must be installed first..... So I can neither install it
properly or remove it, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 AM
"Adrian Levi"

On 03/01/2008, Steven Jones <plewto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Im new to Debian but have several years Fedora experience. I have a
> fresh Debian installation (Debian 40r4 net install) to which I am
> trying to add sun-java5-jdk_1.5.0-10-3_i386.deb using dpkg -i. The
> problem starts when I'm asked to agree to the license. At the bottom
> of the license text is an "OK" button. Presumably I'm to select it but
> it isn't active. No matter what I've tried I am unable to get past
> this screen.
>
> Having no other alternatives I aborted the install. Running dpkg
> --audit shows Java as half installed and suggest the package be either
> removed or reinstalled. Trying to remove it producese an error that
> it must be installed first..... So I can neither install it
> properly or remove it, any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming your being displayed an ncurses style OK button:

Hit "Tab" to change the focus to the button, incidentally all of the
Debian text based installers behave the same way for future reference.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 AM
"Nuno Magalh„es"

You can also use apt-get instead.
apt-get remove --purge sun-java5-jdk
apt-get install sun-java5-jdk [although the newer one is 6, if you
need the class Console]

You won't have to confirm anything, apt will do it for you.