Old 11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Default [OT?] Replying to posts in debian-user

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 03:34:27PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:

> There is one tip I have for you: use a mailer that has better support
> for mailing lists than your current one, e.g. KMail. Mutt and Gnus
> are even better, but they are difficult to set up.

I'm wondering what is difficult about setting up mutt.

In /etc/Muttrc, the only change I made, other than to ignore some
headers, was

set record=""

so that I don't have a default sent folder.

and in ~/.muttrc, other than aliases for family, friends, and mailing
lists, I just have the subscribe lists for mailing lists, eg:

alias debian-user debian-user@lists.debian.org
subscribe debian-user@lists.debian.org

Thats it. I send mail and it goes to exim4 that sends it to my ISP as a
smarthost, and away it goes from there.

Sure, you can get fancy and have mutt or other things sort and slice,
dice, and cook the mail. I've never had the need.

Doug.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Andrei Popescu

Because Doug has set "Mail-Followup-To: debian-user@lists.debian.org"

> However, this was not the case with some other messages. What I was
> thinking earlier was that if the list sees that the person in the
> "To:" or "CC:" field is also subscribed to the list, then it refrains
> from sending the message to that person, since they would have
> received it "directly". From now on, I shall dutifully delete the
> additional address before sending.

The list has no control over how you reply. If you send a message to the
list AND the poster your SMTP server (either local or at your ISP) will
send to messages: one to the list and one to the poster. The list has no
control over the first one.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 11-18-2007, 05:48 PM
"Kelly Clowers"

On Nov 18, 2007 9:12 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 03:34:27PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
> > There is one tip I have for you: use a mailer that has better support
> > for mailing lists than your current one, e.g. KMail. Mutt and Gnus
> > are even better, but they are difficult to set up.
>
> I'm wondering what is difficult about setting up mutt.
>
> In /etc/Muttrc, the only change I made, other than to ignore some
> headers, was
>
> set record=""
>
> so that I don't have a default sent folder.
>
> and in ~/.muttrc, other than aliases for family, friends, and mailing
> lists, I just have the subscribe lists for mailing lists, eg:
>
> alias debian-user debian-user@lists.debian.org
> subscribe debian-user@lists.debian.org
>

> Thats it. I send mail and it goes to exim4 that sends it to my ISP as a
> smarthost, and away it goes from there.
>
> Sure, you can get fancy and have mutt or other things sort and slice,
> dice, and cook the mail. I've never had the need.

Lucky you. I have looked into using mutt, as I tend to be a CLI
junkie, but I found that would need to do a lot of customization
before I would enjoy using it. I would need to do much of the
customization all at once, before I started using it, and to really
make it worthwhile I also need to use it with imap, which means
my own mail server. Google now does imap, but I want my own
mail server for other reasons.

In my opinion, Mutt is quite a bit harder to start using than vim.
I have a longish vimrc, but the defaults worked well enough at
first, so all I had to do was memorize key bindings.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 10:48:29AM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2007 9:12 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 03:34:27PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> >
> > > There is one tip I have for you: use a mailer that has better support
> > > for mailing lists than your current one, e.g. KMail. Mutt and Gnus
> > > are even better, but they are difficult to set up.
> >
> > I'm wondering what is difficult about setting up mutt.
> >
> > In /etc/Muttrc, the only change I made, other than to ignore some
> > headers, was
> >
> > set record=""
> >
> > so that I don't have a default sent folder.
> >
> > and in ~/.muttrc, other than aliases for family, friends, and mailing
> > lists, I just have the subscribe lists for mailing lists, eg:
> >
> > alias debian-user debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > subscribe debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >

> > Thats it. I send mail and it goes to exim4 that sends it to my ISP as a
> > smarthost, and away it goes from there.
> >
> > Sure, you can get fancy and have mutt or other things sort and slice,
> > dice, and cook the mail. I've never had the need.
>
> Lucky you. I have looked into using mutt, as I tend to be a CLI
> junkie, but I found that would need to do a lot of customization
> before I would enjoy using it. I would need to do much of the
> customization all at once, before I started using it, and to really
> make it worthwhile I also need to use it with imap, which means
> my own mail server. Google now does imap, but I want my own
> mail server for other reasons.
>
> In my opinion, Mutt is quite a bit harder to start using than vim.
> I have a longish vimrc, but the defaults worked well enough at
> first, so all I had to do was memorize key bindings.

mutt works fairly sensibly "out of the box" in my experience.

Also why do you say you'd have to use IMAP with mutt to get what you
want? Unless you need to be able to read (using mutt) your mail from
several different systems I don't see how it would help you.

--
Chris Green