-   -   OT: Video Card Nvidia card (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/2665-ot-video-card-nvidia-card.html)

"Guillermo Garron" 11-22-2007 12:29 AM

OT: Video Card Nvidia card

Hi,

I am using an ATI Radeo X300 right now, but Compiz is not really
working for me so I want to change it for a Nvidia one, I have these
options

VIDEO NVIDIA XFX GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB PCI Express VCD w/DVI TVOut SLI
VIDEO NVIDIA ZOTAC GeForce 8600GT 256MB DDR2 PCI Express VCD w/DVI TVOut
VIDEO NVIDIA XFX GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB PCI Express VCD w/DVI TVOut SLI
VIDEO NVIDIA MSI GeForce 8600 GTS 512 MB PCI Express VCD w/DVI TVOut SLI

which one do you recommend for Compiz compatibility, are all of them
good supported by Debian?

thanks for your help in advance

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."

"Kelly Clowers" 11-22-2007 02:34 AM

OT: Video Card Nvidia card

On Nov 21, 2007 5:29 PM, Guillermo Garron <guillermo.fedora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using an ATI Radeo X300 right now, but Compiz is not really
> working for me so I want to change it for a Nvidia one, I have these
> options
>
> VIDEO NVIDIA XFX GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB PCI Express VCD w/DVI TVOut SLI
> VIDEO NVIDIA ZOTAC GeForce 8600GT 256MB DDR2 PCI Express VCD w/DVI TVOut
> VIDEO NVIDIA XFX GeForce 8600 GT 512 MB PCI Express VCD w/DVI TVOut SLI
> VIDEO NVIDIA MSI GeForce 8600 GTS 512 MB PCI Express VCD w/DVI TVOut SLI
>
> which one do you recommend for Compiz compatibility, are all of them
> good supported by Debian?

Vendor, amount of ram, etc, doesn't really matter for drivers, so:
> GeForce 8500 GT
> GeForce 8600 GT
> GeForce 8600 GT
> GeForce 8600 GTS

They are basically all the same card. I imagine their support with
nvidia's binary driver would be identical (I don't know if they all be
good or all be bad). Support for these devices was added in April.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers