Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default CLI Addressbook

Hey guys,

I was looking for a nice CLI address book. Something not too advance but contains the basic contact information, searchable, etc. I want to be able to ssh into my server and just access this application from the commandline and read all my contacts.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Amit

Old 11-22-2007, 12:37 AM
"Sridhar M.A."

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:07:48PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> I was looking for a nice CLI address book. Something not too
> advance but contains the basic contact information, searchable,
> etc. I want to be able to ssh into my server and just access this
> application from the commandline and read all my contacts.

$ apt-cache show abook
Package: abook
Section: mail
Installed-Size: 232
Maintainer: Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@debian.at>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.5.6-4
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.5-5), libncursesw5 (>= 5.4-5), libreadline5 (>=
5.2), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0
Filename: pool/main/a/abook/abook_0.5.6-4_i386.deb
Size: 80172
MD5sum: 4937e9fe384e8d40f2b8ec1b3e1ed891
SHA1: 0b149f0c2a8cc55e058eb26eafe45e24373f4fe0
SHA256: 9e73e4cb7025e0457b54805c53bfa46b867330c570b22c2910 60862d4292083b
abook is a text-based ncurses address book application. It provides
many different fields of user info. abook is designed for use with
mutt, but can be used independently.
Enhances: mutt
Tag: implemented-in::c, interface::text-mode, role:rogram,
scope::application, uitoolkit::ncurses, use:rganizing,
works-with:im

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

Your boss is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:38 AM
"H.H. Ding"

Old 11-22-2007, 03:13 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:07:48PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I was looking for a nice CLI address book. Something not too advance
> but contains the basic contact information, searchable, etc. I want to
> be able to ssh into my server and just access this application from
> the commandline and read all my contacts.
>
> Any ideas?

I always used postgresql and just did standard SQL queries, until I
wrote a python front-end.

Good way to learn SQL?

Before that, I just used a plain-text file. Each record is a paragraph,
separated by blank lines. Use standard / to search in less or vim.

I suppose the best tool depends on the number of contacts and the type
of queries you wan to make.

Doug.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 07:07:24 +0530
"Sridhar M.A." <mas@mylug.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 04:07:48PM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> >
> > I was looking for a nice CLI address book. Something not too
> > advance but contains the basic contact information, searchable,
> > etc. I want to be able to ssh into my server and just access this
> > application from the commandline and read all my contacts.
> >
> $ apt-cache show abook
> Package: abook

That actually is perfect. And the files are stored as plain ascii files, which is good enough.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Amit

Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

> I always used postgresql and just did standard SQL queries, until I
> wrote a python front-end.
>
> Good way to learn SQL?
>
> Before that, I just used a plain-text file. Each record is a paragraph,
> separated by blank lines. Use standard / to search in less or vim.
>
> I suppose the best tool depends on the number of contacts and the type
> of queries you wan to make.
>
> Doug.

That is actually a good idea. I love python and this could be a very interesting small project. So you built a GUI using PyGTK or something like that?

Amit

Old 11-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

> openldap?
> It maybe work for you but it seems too advance..

Thanks for the response.

Yeah I thought about that. But you are right, it might be too complex for a small job here.

Amit

Old 11-22-2007, 01:24 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 01:14:13AM -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > I always used postgresql and just did standard SQL queries, until I
> > wrote a python front-end.
> >
> > Good way to learn SQL?
> >
> > Before that, I just used a plain-text file. Each record is a
> > paragraph, separated by blank lines. Use standard / to search in
> > less or vim.
> >
> > I suppose the best tool depends on the number of contacts and the
> > type of queries you wan to make.
>
> That is actually a good idea. I love python and this could be a very
> interesting small project. So you built a GUI using PyGTK or something
> like that?

No. plain standard readline. Could use ncurses. I don't do GUI.
Note that the python part was just a front-end to the postgresql
database. I didn't have to worry about storing and retreiving any data.

Doug.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Michael Pobega

Old 11-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:02:56 -0500
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're definitely looking for abook. If you plan on using abook
> alongside Mutt you may want to add this to your ~/.muttrc:
>
> # Use abook with Mutt
> set query_command="abook --mutt-query '%s'"
> macro pager A |'abook --add-email'

> That configures Mutt so that if you type Q at any time you can query
> your adress book for names (And Mutt will automatically begin composing
> an e-mail when you select the name you're looking for). It also lets you
> add e-mails to abook directly from Mutt using A. I personally use it,
> and I'd advise you should as well, it's very useful.

Yeah I just installed abook and been playing with it. Its nifty little app. As for MUTT I tried configuring it along with getmail and procmail but I could never get it too work right. I am using claws-mail right now and it is quite good. But I do plan to try mutt again.

Thanks for the tip!

Amit