Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Robert Hodgins

Default Lenny won't install on an old Pentium that used to run Etch. Try 2

I sent this email in two parts. It seems that only the second part got
through. So, here are both parts combined into one email.

I have a (old) Pentium 75 that used to run Etch. I have been trying to
install Lenny on it without success. The installation stops at the 6%
point of the "Installation of Base System" step. Various packages are
being retrieved at that point. At different times, the installation has
stopped while it was getting dpkg, coreutils, bdsutils, and libselinux1.

When the installation stalls, I can't get CTRL-ALT-F4 to open another
console, so I can't tell exactly what was going on.

I have tried both the Lenny debian-500-i386-CD-1.iso and the
debian-500-i386-netinst.iso. Neither works. The disks have been used to
install Lenny on other machines, so I know that they are not the
problem.

Any ideas to diagnose what is going on or to get the installation to
complete would be appreciated. The output of lshw (from the System
Rescue CD) is below.

I use an ATA Force card so that the machine can recognize the "large"
hard drive and boot from the CD reader using an SBM card. I doubt that
these are the problem since Etch installed okay, but heck, who knows.

Thank you.

debian
width: 32 bits
*-core
physical id: 2
*-memory
physical id: 0
size: 128MB
*-cpu
product: Pentium 75 - 200
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 1
bus info: cpu@0
version: 5.2.5
size: 100MHz
width: 32 bits
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
*-pci
product: 85C501/2
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@00:00.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
*-isa
product: SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@00:01.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: isa bus_master
configuration: latency=0
*-ide UNCLAIMED
product: PCI0640
vendor: Silicon Image, Inc.
physical id: 6
bus info: pci@00:06.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ide
configuration: latency=0
*-display
product: GD 5434-8 [Alpine]
vendor: Cirrus Logic
physical id: 7
bus info: pci@00:07.0
version: fc
size: 16MB
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga
configuration: latency=0
resources: iomemory:81000000-81ffffff
*-usb:0
product: USB
vendor: NEC Corporation
physical id: 11
bus info: pci@00:11.0
version: 41
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ohci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ohci_hcd latency=64 maxlatency=42
mingnt=1
resources: iomemory:82000000-82000fff irq:10
*-usbhost
product: OHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.18-6-486 ohci_hcd
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@1
logical name: usb1
version: 2.06
capabilities: usb-1.10
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=0mA slots=3
speed=12.0MB/s
*-usb:1
product: USB
vendor: NEC Corporation
physical id: 11.1
bus info: pci@00:11.1
version: 41
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ohci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ohci_hcd latency=64 maxlatency=42
mingnt=1
resources: iomemory:82001000-82001fff irq:10
*-usbhost
product: OHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.18-6-486 ohci_hcd
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@2
logical name: usb2
version: 2.06
capabilities: usb-1.10
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=0mA slots=2
speed=12.0MB/s
*-usb:2
product: USB 2.0
vendor: NEC Corporation
physical id: 11.2
bus info: pci@00:11.2
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ehci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=132 maxlatency=34
mingnt=16
resources: iomemory:82002000-820020ff irq:10
*-usbhost
product: EHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.18-6-486 ehci_hcd
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@3
logical name: usb3
version: 2.06
capabilities: usb-2.00
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=0mA slots=5
speed=480.0MB/s
*-network
product: VT86C100A [Rhine]
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 13
bus info: pci@00:13.0
logical name: eth0
version: 06
serial: 00:50:ba:cb:c9:aa
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master ethernet physical tp mii 10bt
10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
driver=via-rhine driverversion=1.4.1 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.84
latency=200 link=yes maxlatency=152 mingnt=118 multicast=yes port=MII
speed=100MB/s
resources: ioport:3000-307f iomemory:82002100-8200217f
irq:10
*-ide:0
physical id: 0
bus info: ide@0
logical name: ide0
*-disk
product: WDC AC24300L
vendor: Western Digital
physical id: 0
bus info: ide@0.0
logical name: /dev/hda
version: 09.09M08
serial: WD-WM4111064157
size: 4112MB
capacity: 4112MB
capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart pm partitioned
partitioned:dos
configuration: smart=on
*-volume:0
physical id: 1
bus info: ide@0.0,1
logical name: /dev/hda1
capacity: 3875MB
capabilities: primary bootable
*-volume:1
physical id: 2
bus info: ide@0.0,2
logical name: /dev/hda2
size: 235MB
capacity: 235MB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned
partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/hda5
capacity: 235MB
capabilities: nofs
*-ide:1
physical id: 1
bus info: ide@1
logical name: ide1
*-cdrom
product: LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236V
physical id: 0
bus info: ide@1.0
logical name: /dev/hdc
version: R$09
serial: 2005081700009134
capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba
iordy audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
*-disc
physical id: 0
logical name: /dev/hdc

Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Daniel Dickinson

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:22:57 -0600
Robert Hodgins <ehodgins@telusplanet.net> wrote:

> I sent this email in two parts. It seems that only the second part got
> through. So, here are both parts combined into one email.
>
> I have a (old) Pentium 75 that used to run Etch. I have been trying to
> install Lenny on it without success. The installation stops at the 6%
> point of the "Installation of Base System" step. Various packages are
> being retrieved at that point. At different times, the installation
> has stopped while it was getting dpkg, coreutils, bdsutils, and
> libselinux1.
>
> When the installation stalls, I can't get CTRL-ALT-F4 to open another
> console, so I can't tell exactly what was going on.

Assuming you are using the text installer (if you haven't you should,
just in case), you should be able Alt-F4 to see the system logs (ctrl
is unnecessary in text mode. Alt-F3 and Alt-F2 should be alternate
consoles you can use.

I recommend watching the syslog in Alt-F4 and only switching to Alt-F1
when you need to do input. Perhaps a kernel fault, or bad CD-ROM
drive? It could also be bad RAM (have you tried memtest?), or some
other intermittent fault in hardware (like IDE).

Basically if you haven't already do so I would test the hardware. You
seem to have enough RAM so that shouldn't be the issue, and assuming
good media that leaves hardware or driver problems as the most likely
causes.

I guess one other possibility is if the installer is not using the 486
kernel but the 686 one (/var/log/syslog in the installer will tell you
the answer to that).

Good luck,

Daniel
--
And that's my crabbing done for the day. Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something. -- Michael Devore

Old 03-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
Daniel Dickinson

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:47:11 -0600
Robert Hodgins <ehodgins@telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Daniel, thank you for your suggestions.
>

> I did this. I hit Alt-F4 as the installer was finishing the formatting
> of the hard drive. When the cursor stopped blinking and the keyboard
> no longer responded, I took a picture.
>
> I posted it here as Photo 1: http://technicallywrite.blogspot.com/

Hmmmm...not much to go on there, unfortunately. Might have to do the
remote console thing and ssh in.

> I reinstalled (a minimal) Etch last night. It was successful. Top
> and /proc/meminfo both reported that RAM was 127192 KB...very close to
> the 128 MB that is in the machine. So, the Etch installer had no
> issues with the RAM or other hardware.
>
> Would the Lenny installer be more sensitive to potentially bad RAM or
> hardware than the Etch installer?

I don't think so. I was simply wrong about it being bad hardware (most
likely). However another poster pointed out that ACPI on a P1 is
probably wrong and since the message say it's not giving results the
kernel likes, it could certainly apply. Try booting with
acpi=off
or
noacpi
(I forget which one, it might be listed in the Install Guide, or on the
F1-F10 help pages of the CD (before starting the installer)).

I'm thinking the default kernel configuration has changed somehow that
doesn't like your board. ACPI is a definite possibility (modern
kernels try to use ACPI but boards before ~2000 tend to have buggy or
incomplete BIOS implementations of acpi).

Also apic and local apic could be a problem. Basically anything that
your board tried to support but wasn't up to the standards that
eventually came into force, but are what the kernel expects.

> Right after selecting Install, the installer printed the screen (Photo
> 2) that is at http://technicallywrite.blogspot.com/ I didn't get this
> screen when I was installing Etch and I don't recall seeing it when I
> installed Lenny on other (more modern) machines. I can't interpret
> what it means.
> Is it relevant to the failure of the Lenny installer?

Probably. Not 100% but 95% likelihood that this the problem. Assuming
no other old hardware that is no longer supported on the system of
course.

> > I guess one other possibility is if the installer is not using the
> > 486 kernel but the 686 one (/var/log/syslog in the installer will
> > tell you the answer to that).
>
> When the Lenny installation freezes, the keyboard is locked up. There
> is no way to run shutdown -h now. I've just been powering off.
>
> At this stage of the installation, how can I get the /var/log/syslog?

If you look at the install guide you might be able to use a network
console and ssh in. Depends of the machine is locked or just the
keyboard. Personally I suspect it wouldn't help because if it the ACPI
that the problem then the system is hard frozen, not just not
responding to input.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 03:50:07PM -0600, Robert Hodgins wrote:

> The result is always the same: installation stops shortly after the base
> install starts (bootstrap-base).
>
> Not too sure what else to try.

Since the installer-CD itself boots, what happens if you bypass the
installer? Boot up, partition everything, but stop using the installer
once you have partitions and you're ready to have things start
installing. Then, use deboostrap (which should be on the CD) to install
a base system. Read the man page (on a working system) so you know what
command line args to use. You should be able to point it at the CD
(perhaps as a mounted fs, I don't know) to save using the network.

You'll end up with a very basic unconfigured system, and it may not
include a kernel. Before you reboot, chroot into the installed system,
run aptitude (assuming that debootstrap installed it, otherwise apt-get
it) and install the appropriate kernel and grub (grub2, whatever lenny
uses).

Keep notes of everything you do, especially on what files you have to
edit to configure the system. Then, backup those files up to something
small/portable (mountable from the install CD) so you can do a faster
bare-metal restore should this be necessary in the future.

Doug.