Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

Default apt-get BROKEN (postgresql-client-7.4 lost its "libpq.so.3")... ideas?

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 15:10:05 will trillich wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Boyd --

Please use interleaved quoting style. If that's too much effort,
please bottom-post and trim the quoted text to only what is
relevant.

It makes the posts easier to read for experts that may have not
been following the thread from the beginning. I've tried to
correct your quoting below. I apologize if I don't get it exactly
correct.

> Subject: Re: apt-get upgrade trouble (with postgresql-
client-7.4)
> From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." bss@iguanasuicide.net
>>On Monday 09 March 2009 15:31:23 will trillich wrote:
>>> # /etc/init.d/postgresql-7.4 stop
>>> Stopping PostgreSQL 7.4 database server: mainError: pid file
is
>>> invalid, please manually kill the stale server process.
>>> failed!
>> Have you followed this instruction and then removed the pid
file?
>> That should convince the init script that postgresql-7.4 is
stopped
>> and let the removal so forward.
>
> There *is* no pidfile for postgres 7.4 (check the original
message --
> we've got one for 8.1, none for 7.4 .

The init script for postgresql-7.4 thinks you do. I need to make
the command "invoke-rc.d postgresql-7.4 stop" run cleanly as root.
That is the command that apt insists on having complete before it
will continue.

As it is, your packaging system is in an inconsistent state, and
apt is trying to fix it before it will do anything else.

> The real problem is really
> "main/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/pg_controldata: error while
> shared libraries: libpq.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No
such
> file or directory."

No, that's not really a problem. That would only be a problem if
you actually wanted to run postgresql-7.4, which uses libpq.so.3.
Postgresql-8.1 uses a later version of this library, either 4 or
5, I can't remember.

> And now it's got our entire system un-updateable! Apt-get is
broken
> until we can unravel this. We'd like to remove psql7.4 (using
8.1 just
> fine now) but apt is STUCK. Suggestions welcome... Thanks!

Clear the error apt is reporting when you do the run first. At
that point apt will continue, get your packaging into a consistent
state, and then let you make further changes.

I know that the apt error is coming from one of the packaging
scripts, probably prerm or postrm. I think one of those calls the
postgresql-7.4 init script and that is reporting an error.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))