Old 03-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Robert Hodgins

Default Lenny won't install on an old Pentium that used to run Etch.

I have a (old) Pentium 75 that used to run Etch. I have been trying to
install Lenny on it without success. The installation stops at the 6%
point of the "Installation of Base System" step. Various packages are
being retrieved at that point. At different times, the installation has
stopped while it was getting dpkg, coreutils, bdsutils, and libselinux1.

When the installation stalls, I can't get CTRL-ALT-F4 to open another
console, so I can't tell exactly what was going on.

I have tried both the Lenny debian-500-i386-CD-1.iso and the
debian-500-i386-netinst.iso. Neither works. The disks have been used to
install Lenny on other machines, so I know that they are not the
problem.

Any ideas to diagnose what is going on or to get the installation to
complete would be appreciated. The output of lshw (from the System
Rescue CD) is below.

Thank you.

debian
width: 32 bits
*-core
physical id: 2
*-memory
physical id: 0
size: 128MB
*-cpu
product: Pentium 75 - 200
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 1
bus info: cpu@0
version: 5.2.5
size: 100MHz
width: 32 bits
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
*-pci
product: 85C501/2
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@00:00.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
*-isa
product: SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
vendor: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@00:01.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: isa bus_master
configuration: latency=0
*-ide UNCLAIMED
product: PCI0640
vendor: Silicon Image, Inc.
physical id: 6
bus info: pci@00:06.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ide
configuration: latency=0
*-display
product: GD 5434-8 [Alpine]
vendor: Cirrus Logic
physical id: 7
bus info: pci@00:07.0
version: fc
size: 16MB
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: vga
configuration: latency=0
resources: iomemory:81000000-81ffffff
*-usb:0
product: USB
vendor: NEC Corporation
physical id: 11
bus info: pci@00:11.0
version: 41
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ohci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ohci_hcd latency=64 maxlatency=42
mingnt=1
resources: iomemory:82000000-82000fff irq:10
*-usbhost
product: OHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.18-6-486 ohci_hcd
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@1
logical name: usb1
version: 2.06
capabilities: usb-1.10
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=0mA slots=3
speed=12.0MB/s
*-usb:1
product: USB
vendor: NEC Corporation
physical id: 11.1
bus info: pci@00:11.1
version: 41
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ohci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ohci_hcd latency=64 maxlatency=42
mingnt=1
resources: iomemory:82001000-82001fff irq:10
*-usbhost
product: OHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.18-6-486 ohci_hcd
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@2
logical name: usb2
version: 2.06
capabilities: usb-1.10
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=0mA slots=2
speed=12.0MB/s
*-usb:2
product: USB 2.0
vendor: NEC Corporation
physical id: 11.2
bus info: pci@00:11.2
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ehci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=132 maxlatency=34
mingnt=16
resources: iomemory:82002000-820020ff irq:10
*-usbhost
product: EHCI Host Controller
vendor: Linux 2.6.18-6-486 ehci_hcd
physical id: 1
bus info: usb@3
logical name: usb3
version: 2.06
capabilities: usb-2.00
configuration: driver=hub maxpower=0mA slots=5
speed=480.0MB/s
*-network
product: VT86C100A [Rhine]
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 13
bus info: pci@00:13.0
logical name: eth0
version: 06
serial: 00:50:ba:cb:c9:aa
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master ethernet physical tp mii 10bt
10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
driver=via-rhine driverversion=1.4.1 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.84
latency=200 link=yes maxlatency=152 mingnt=118 multicast=yes port=MII
speed=100MB/s
resources: ioport:3000-307f iomemory:82002100-8200217f
irq:10
*-ide:0
physical id: 0
bus info: ide@0
logical name: ide0
*-disk
product: WDC AC24300L
vendor: Western Digital
physical id: 0
bus info: ide@0.0
logical name: /dev/hda
version: 09.09M08
serial: WD-WM4111064157
size: 4112MB
capacity: 4112MB
capabilities: ata dma lba iordy smart pm partitioned
partitioned:dos
configuration: smart=on
*-volume:0
physical id: 1
bus info: ide@0.0,1
logical name: /dev/hda1
capacity: 3875MB
capabilities: primary bootable
*-volume:1
physical id: 2
bus info: ide@0.0,2
logical name: /dev/hda2
size: 235MB
capacity: 235MB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned
partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/hda5
capacity: 235MB
capabilities: nofs
*-ide:1
physical id: 1
bus info: ide@1
logical name: ide1
*-cdrom
product: LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5236V
physical id: 0
bus info: ide@1.0
logical name: /dev/hdc
version: R$09
serial: 2005081700009134
capabilities: packet atapi cdrom removable nonmagnetic dma lba
iordy audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
*-disc
physical id: 0
logical name: /dev/hdc

Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Robert Hodgins

I use an ATA Force card so that the machine can recognize the "large"
hard drive and boot from the CD reader using an SBM card. I doubt that
these are the problem since Etch installed okay, but heck, who knows.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Chris Jones

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 04:39:51PM EDT, Robert Hodgins wrote:

> Any ideas to diagnose what is going on or to get the installation to
> complete would be appreciated.

Not sure.. but have you tried (re)installing etch.. just to make sure
lenny vs. etch is really the problem?

Thanks,

CJ

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 AM
Robert Hodgins

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 19:00 -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 04:39:51PM EDT, Robert Hodgins wrote:
>
> > Any ideas to diagnose what is going on or to get the installation to
> > complete would be appreciated.
>
> Not sure.. but have you tried (re)installing etch.. just to make sure
> lenny vs. etch is really the problem?

Yup, I did a reinstall of Etch. I just did a minimal install this time
(unchecked all the options in tasksel). I was able to get througt the
base install and right up to the installation of GRUB and the reboot and
could log in. In other words, no surprises. Etch is installable.

I've not got through the base install the Lenny CDs, however.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Stefan Monnier

> Yup, I did a reinstall of Etch. I just did a minimal install this time
> (unchecked all the options in tasksel). I was able to get througt the
> base install and right up to the installation of GRUB and the reboot and
> could log in. In other words, no surprises. Etch is installable.

> I've not got through the base install the Lenny CDs, however.

How about doing an upgrade instead?
You could even try to do it incrementally.

Stefan

Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Csanyi Pal

>> Yup, I did a reinstall of Etch. I just did a minimal install this time
>> (unchecked all the options in tasksel). I was able to get througt the
>> base install and right up to the installation of GRUB and the reboot and
>> could log in. In other words, no surprises. Etch is installable.
>
>> I've not got through the base install the Lenny CDs, however.
>
> How about doing an upgrade instead?
> You could even try to do it incrementally.

I had a problem to upgrade on an old Pentium with K6 uProcessor from
Etch to Lenny.

When I edited the sources.list so that I can to update aptitude from a
Debian Lenny mirror then I get error message: Illegal instruction and
can't to use aptitude anymore.

I have tried too to install Lenny from a netinstall or from the first
Lenny's installation CD but at the point of setting up mirror for
further installation, when I'm running aptitude update I get the abowe
mentioned error message. But when I remove the mirror lines in
sources.list, and do aptitude update, then the aptitude works again.

So, I can't to use the Debian mirror with Lenny, but with Etch this
works fine. What can be the problem here?

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Old 03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Robert Hodgins

> How about doing an upgrade instead?
> You could even try to do it incrementally.

Thank you. You are right. I could do that.

Still, I'd like to know why the Etch installer is successful and the
Lenny installer isn't. Should I still be using this machine "down the
road" (and I'd like to keep it going as long as the hardware holds up),
incremental upgrades from Etch to Lenny to the next version...and so
on...are going to get a bit tedious.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Stefan Monnier

>> How about doing an upgrade instead?
> Still, I'd like to know why the Etch installer is successful and the
> Lenny installer isn't. Should I still be using this machine "down the
> road" (and I'd like to keep it going as long as the hardware holds up),
> incremental upgrades from Etch to Lenny to the next version...and so
> on...are going to get a bit tedious.

FWIW, I use `testing' specifically because I find such upgrades
horrendous: I much prefer spending 5 minutes every week "upgrading" my
machine, than a whole day (if not more) every 2 years.

Stefan

Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 03-12-2009, 10:35 PM
"s. keeling"

Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com>:

> >> Yup, I did a reinstall of Etch. I just did a minimal install this time
> >> (unchecked all the options in tasksel). I was able to get througt the
> >> base install and right up to the installation of GRUB and the reboot and
> >> could log in. In other words, no surprises. Etch is installable.
> >
> >> I've not got through the base install the Lenny CDs, however.
> >
> > How about doing an upgrade instead?
> > You could even try to do it incrementally.
>
> I had a problem to upgrade on an old Pentium with K6 uProcessor from
> Etch to Lenny.
>
> When I edited the sources.list so that I can to update aptitude from a
> Debian Lenny mirror then I get error message: Illegal instruction and
> can't to use aptitude anymore.

Just a guess: have you read the release notes. Etch --> Lenny
requires upgrading/reinstalling certain (critical packaging system)
packages first.

wiki.debian.org can probably explain it.

(*) http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/ Linux Counter #80292