Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
will trillich

Default apt-get BROKEN (postgresql-client-7.4 lost its "libpq.so.3")... ideas?

Thanks for the reply, Boyd --

There *is* no pidfile for postgres 7.4 (check the original message --
we've got one for 8.1, none for 7.4 .

The real problem is really
"main/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/pg_controldata: error while loading
shared libraries: libpq.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory."

And now it's got our entire system un-updateable! Apt-get is broken
until we can unravel this. We'd like to remove psql7.4 (using 8.1 just
fine now) but apt is STUCK. Suggestions welcome... Thanks!

===

Subject: Re: apt-get upgrade trouble (with postgresql-client-7.4)
From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." bss@iguanasuicide.net

On Monday 09 March 2009 15:31:23 will trillich wrote:
> # /etc/init.d/postgresql-7.4 stop
> Stopping PostgreSQL 7.4 database server: mainError: pid file is
> invalid, please manually kill the stale server process.
> failed!

Have you followed this instruction and then removed the pid file?
That should convince the init script that postgresql-7.4 is stopped
and let the removal so forward.

--
will trillich -- http://faq.serensoft.com/
With a burning "yes" around your high priorities you can easily say