Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Default why /sys cannot be copied?

Star Liu wrote:
> and i fount that the /sys in the broken system is a shell file, but
> the /sys in the new system is a folder, so i tried to copy the sys
> folder from new system to broken system, by cp /sys /root/OldRoot/sys,
> but it says many files in the new sys folder cannot be read! why? how
> could I resove the "mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: Invalid
> argument" problem?
> also the "run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory" problem? thanks

>From wikipedia [1]:
> Sysfs is a virtual file system provided by Linux 2.6.
[...]
> sysfs is an in-memory filesystem

/sys is a virtual filesystem that is created by the kernel on boot. It
is not a real file system on your hard disk. It seems obvious that your
broken system does not have a valid /sys since it did not manage to boot
properly. It should be automatically recreated, once your 'old' system
boots fine.

HTH,
Johannes

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sysfs

Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Sjors Gielen

Star Liu wrote:
>> and i fount that the /sys in the broken system is a shell file

A shell file? You should remove that file, and create a directory. Sys
will be mounted upon it automatically.

Mounting /sys on /root/sys makes no sense - could you paste the
/etc/fstab of your old system here please?

Also, not having /sbin/init is much of a problem. Is there a /sbin/init
in your old system?

Sjors

Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Star Liu

> Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>> Star Liu wrote:
>>> , but
>>> the /sys in the new system is a folder, so i tried to copy the sys
>>> folder from new system to broken system, by cp /sys /root/OldRoot/sys,
>>> but it says many files in the new sys folder cannot be read! why? how
>>> could I resove the "mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: Invalid
>>> argument" problem?
>>> also the "run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory" problem? thanks
>>

>> /sys is a virtual filesystem that is created by the kernel on boot. It
>> is not a real file system on your hard disk. It seems obvious that your
>> broken system does not have a valid /sys since it did not manage to boot
>> properly. It should be automatically recreated, once your 'old' system
>> boots fine.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Johannes
>
> Star Liu wrote:
>>> and i fount that the /sys in the broken system is a shell file
>
> A shell file? You should remove that file, and create a directory. Sys
> will be mounted upon it automatically.
>
> Mounting /sys on /root/sys makes no sense - could you paste the
> /etc/fstab of your old system here please?
thank you for your explanation, here is the /etc/fstab of my broken system
-------------
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda4 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
seems no /sys, then where does those error message come from?

> Also, not having /sbin/init is much of a problem. Is there a /sbin/init
> in your old system?
yes, there is, it's a 36.5KB executable file.