Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Bernard

Default scripts for batch treatment

Hi to Everyone !

I intend to copy a number of files chosen from a given directory. At
first, I've made a mistake : instead of deleting unwanted files from a
copy of said directory, I worked on deleting lines on a filelist that I
had extracted
using 'ls -l > filename.txt'. This sorting job, on about 12,500 lines,
took several hours of my time, and I hope to find a way to make use of
the result obtained, rather than re-doing the whole sorting job. The
sorted files number about 400 or so. Had it been only 2 or 3 dozens of
files, I would not have hesitated repeating the following command for
each file :

cp
/mnt/exthd/home/bd/office52/user/desktop/etc/etc/filename_pasted_from_the_list
/home/mydir

But 400 files are too many, and I expect to be able to treat this, using
some sort of a shell script suitable for batch treatment...

A similar problem had occured to me 3 or 4 years ago for batch treatment
of a series of picture files, and I had managed with a short Free Pascal
routine using a 'for n=x to y do" loop, this being made possible by the
fact that filenames were made of a rising set of numeric values, which
is not the case for my new problem. Filenames are indeed made of long
strings of characters since they are "subjects" of e-mails received via
StarOffice 5.1 and 5.2.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

P.S. I know nothing about shell scripts, so I might need a good tutorial
on this.

Bernard