Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Dirk Vervoort

Default running X without desktop

Hi All,

How far can I go on a remote pc with only 96 Mb,

- Can I run X on a remote pc 192.168.1.2 without a desktop and export a
display like DISPLAY=192.168.1.5 to my client pc were I run xhost +
192.168.1.2.
- Is there a very small kernel available or should I compile one
myself ( never did it )
- Can I run vlc without frontend interface but with only a remote web
interface ?

At this moment this works fine: JWM-desktop + VLC and its web
interface + telnetd

Not secure ?, no problem it is local after a router.

Thank,

Old 03-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Daniel Lannstrom

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:57:43PM +0100, Dirk Vervoort wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> How far can I go on a remote pc with only 96 Mb,
>
> - Can I run X on a remote pc 192.168.1.2 without a desktop and export a
> display like DISPLAY=192.168.1.5 to my client pc were I run xhost +
> 192.168.1.2.
> - Is there a very small kernel available or should I compile one myself
> ( never did it )
> - Can I run vlc without frontend interface but with only a remote web
> interface ?
>
> At this moment this works fine: JWM-desktop + VLC and its web
> interface + telnetd
>
> Not secure ?, no problem it is local after a router.
>
> Thank,

Sending VLC's video output to a remote X11 server will not be fast (even
on a LAN). In this case I think it would be better to use VLC build-in
streaming capabilities.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Dirk Vervoort

Daniel Lannstrom wrote:

How far can I go on a remote pc with only 96 Mb,

- Can I run X on a remote pc 192.168.1.2 without a desktop and export a
display like DISPLAY=192.168.1.5 to my client pc were I run xhost +
192.168.1.2.
- Is there a very small kernel available or should I compile one myself
( never did it )
- Can I run vlc without frontend interface but with only a remote web
interface ?

At this moment this works fine: JWM-desktop + VLC and its web
interface + telnetd

Not secure ?, no problem it is local after a router.

Thanks,

Sending VLC's video output to a remote X11 server will not be fast (even
on a LAN). In this case I think it would be better to use VLC build-in
streaming capabilities.

>> The VLC input:streaming internet, Output: audio-card-> audio-system
What I would like to achieve is search on the internet for a stream via
a browser ( but the DISPLAY is send to my local pc [xhost] )

*and play the selected sream on the remote VLC player ( option: while
opening a stream [ save or play ?]* > play)