Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 AM
consultores1

Default netinstall using 1 wireless usb rtl-8187L

hello

does somebody know how to do an installation using a wireless usb
rtl-8187L, which does not need any kind of firmware, it works correctly
with lenny, sid and maybe with any other linux distribution.

My problem is that the netinstall does not recognize the usb card at the
beginning, then i have to stop installing, and the module related to the
card does not apper in any place.

thanks in advance.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 AM
"thveillon.debian"

consultores1 wrote :
> hello
>
> does somebody know how to do an installation using a wireless usb
> rtl-8187L, which does not need any kind of firmware, it works correctly
> with lenny, sid and maybe with any other linux distribution.
>
> My problem is that the netinstall does not recognize the usb card at the
> beginning, then i have to stop installing, and the module related to the
> card does not apper in any place.
>
> thanks in advance.

Hi,

don't know if it can help you, but I have such a wifi controller on my
motherboard (not using it though, and never for a netinstall), here the
lsmod output :

lsmod | grep rtl
rtl8187 44224 0
mac80211 127440 1 rtl8187
eeprom_93cx6 2624 1 rtl8187
cfg80211 31712 2 rtl8187,mac80211

So it seems you need rtl8187, and there's an eeprom reader involved to
eeprom 93cx6.
"dpkg -S" tells me that all of this is compiled in my kernel, but maybe
not in the installer one ?
It has always worked out of the box.

Tom

Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
consultores1

El mié, 11-03-2009 a las 09:21 +0000, thveillon.debian escribió:
> consultores1 wrote :
> > hello
> >
> > does somebody know how to do an installation using a wireless usb
> > rtl-8187L, which does not need any kind of firmware, it works correctly
> > with lenny, sid and maybe with any other linux distribution.
> >
> > My problem is that the netinstall does not recognize the usb card at the
> > beginning, then i have to stop installing, and the module related to the
> > card does not apper in any place.
> >
> > thanks in advance.
> >

> Hi,
>
> don't know if it can help you, but I have such a wifi controller on my
> motherboard (not using it though, and never for a netinstall), here the
> lsmod output :
>

> lsmod | grep rtl
> rtl8187 44224 0
> mac80211 127440 1 rtl8187
> eeprom_93cx6 2624 1 rtl8187
> cfg80211 31712 2 rtl8187,mac80211
>

> So it seems you need rtl8187, and there's an eeprom reader involved to
> eeprom 93cx6.
> "dpkg -S" tells me that all of this is compiled in my kernel, but maybe
> not in the installer one ?
> It has always worked out of the box.
>
> Tom

Yes, it is exactly what i thought, because i tested it with Slax, and it
worked very well.

Then, it could means what i have to recompile the netinstall kernel,
build the new personalized netinstall, and burn CD. if it were not
possible activating it at boot. Is it correct?

PS:
Is it possible installing from Slax, chrooting i mean?
--
"Consultores Agropecuarios"

Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Celejar

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:51:30 -0700
consultores1 <consultores1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible installing from Slax, chrooting i mean?

Debootstrap (I've never used it)?

http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/debootstrap

Celejar