Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 AM
Robert S

Default Aptitude tries to replace backport kernel with older version

I have replaced the stock etch kernel with 2.6.26-bpo.1-686 by adding backports to my sources.list and the following to /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: linux-image-2.6-486
Pin relase a=etch-backports
Pin-Priority: 999

If I run aptitude and press "G" I get prompted to downgrade my kernel to version linux-image-2.6.18-4-686.* Obviously I don't want this to happen.

I wish to resolve this before upgrading to Lenny.* What is the correct way of doing this?

TIA.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 16:11:20 +1100, Robert S (robert.spam.me.senseless@gmail.com) wrote:

> I have replaced the stock etch kernel with 2.6.26-bpo.1-686 by adding
> backports to my sources.list and the following to /etc/apt/preferences:
>
> Package: linux-image-2.6-486
> Pin relase a=etch-backports <=====================
> Pin-Priority: 999
>
> If I run aptitude and press "G" I get prompted to downgrade my kernel to
> version linux-image-2.6.18-4-686. Obviously I don't want this to happen.
>
> I wish to resolve this before upgrading to Lenny. What is the correct way
> of doing this?

The line highlighted above should be:
Pin: release a=etch-backports

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Thorny

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:11:20 +1100, Robert S wrote:

> I have replaced the stock etch kernel with 2.6.26-bpo.1-686 by adding
> backports to my sources.list and the following to /etc/apt/preferences:
>
> Package: linux-image-2.6-486
> Pin relase a=etch-backports
> Pin-Priority: 999
>
> If I run aptitude and press "G" I get prompted to downgrade my kernel to
> version linux-image-2.6.18-4-686. Obviously I don't want this to
> happen.
>
> I wish to resolve this before upgrading to Lenny. What is the correct
> way of doing this?

The "correct"(recommended) way to upgrade has always been to read the
release notes for a new version before attempting the upgrade.

In your specific case, with a backported kernel image, you would be
especially interested in doing so.

You might want to start with chapter 4 and have a look at 4.2.5.
Unofficial sources and backports:
http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#backup
[that line may have wrapped in your list reader]