Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Ross Boylan

Default iceweasel thinks it has java but websites disagree

I've encountered 2 different websites today that told me I need a java
plugin installed. But iceweasel shows that it has such a plugin.

Can anyone suggest how I can diagnose or fix this? The system is
basically lenny (including non-free and the Marillat archives).

For example, my schools VPN uses Juniper Networks and says
You are using the secure gateway Java Session Manager, which requires
that your browser support:
* Scripting of Java applets.
* Microsoft Java 5.0.0.3802 (or above) or Sun Java 2 Runtime
Environment 1.4.1 (or above).
You currently have the following version of Java installed on your
system: N/A

To download the latest version of Sun Java, go to http://www.java.com

My list of plugins show Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_17-b-4

The other site with the complaint was for MS Live Meeting.
https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/test2007/webJoin. Oddly, that works
on one machine (the same one that got the previous error), but not
another.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Bob Cox

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 18:39:14 -0700, Ross Boylan (ross@biostat.ucsf.edu) wrote:

> I've encountered 2 different websites today that told me I need a java
> plugin installed. But iceweasel shows that it has such a plugin.
>
> Can anyone suggest how I can diagnose or fix this? The system is
> basically lenny (including non-free and the Marillat archives).
>
> For example, my schools VPN uses Juniper Networks and says
> You are using the secure gateway Java Session Manager, which requires
> that your browser support:
> * Scripting of Java applets.
> * Microsoft Java 5.0.0.3802 (or above) or Sun Java 2 Runtime
> Environment 1.4.1 (or above).
> You currently have the following version of Java installed on your
> system: N/A
>
> To download the latest version of Sun Java, go to http://www.java.com
>
> My list of plugins show Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_17-b-4
>
> The other site with the complaint was for MS Live Meeting.
> https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/test2007/webJoin. Oddly, that works
> on one machine (the same one that got the previous error), but not
> another.

That last URL does not appear to involve any Java at all and it even
opens ok in w3m, so an error regarding a lack of Java seems especially
odd.

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Ross Boylan

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 03:44 +0000, Bob Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 18:39:14 -0700, Ross Boylan (ross@biostat.ucsf.edu) wrote:
>
> > I've encountered 2 different websites today that told me I need a java
> > plugin installed. But iceweasel shows that it has such a plugin.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest how I can diagnose or fix this? The system is
> > basically lenny (including non-free and the Marillat archives).
> >
> > For example, my schools VPN uses Juniper Networks and says
> > You are using the secure gateway Java Session Manager, which requires
> > that your browser support:
> > * Scripting of Java applets.
> > * Microsoft Java 5.0.0.3802 (or above) or Sun Java 2 Runtime
> > Environment 1.4.1 (or above).
> > You currently have the following version of Java installed on your
> > system: N/A
> >
> > To download the latest version of Sun Java, go to http://www.java.com
> >
> > My list of plugins show Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_17-b-4
> >
> > The other site with the complaint was for MS Live Meeting.
> > https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/test2007/webJoin. Oddly, that works
> > on one machine (the same one that got the previous error), but not
> > another.
>
> That last URL does not appear to involve any Java at all and it even
> opens ok in w3m, so an error regarding a lack of Java seems especially
> odd.
I guess it depends how you get there. I did from
https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/test2007/join?id=LiveMeeting2007Test&role=attend&cn=user&pw =&recording_agreement=accepted&placewareLicenseCoo kie=true

After installing sun-java6-plugin, that site now works. The addons no
longer have a plugin described as providing java, but they list
libnpjp2.so w/o a description, and it is java6.