Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default module blacklisting not working

I've created a file:

/etc/modprobe.d/0_local_blacklist

to avoid clobbering the udev-provided package. It contains:

blacklist kvm
blacklist kvm-intel

However, after every reboot I still have to manually remove the modules
from the running kernel. What am I doing wrong here?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-03-10 19:35 +0100, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

> I've created a file:
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/0_local_blacklist
>
> to avoid clobbering the udev-provided package. It contains:
>
> blacklist kvm
> blacklist kvm-intel
>
> However, after every reboot I still have to manually remove the modules
> from the running kernel. What am I doing wrong here?

The module may be loaded at boot time. In that case you need to
propagate your blacklist file to the initramfs with update-initramfs(8).

Sven

Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:35:51AM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> I've created a file:
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/0_local_blacklist
>
> to avoid clobbering the udev-provided package. It contains:
>
> blacklist kvm
> blacklist kvm-intel
>
> However, after every reboot I still have to manually remove the modules
> from the running kernel. What am I doing wrong here?

Blacklisting a module does not override an explicit loading of it (a
direct modprobe, rather than a modprobe of an alias of it). Is there a
script that runs, e.g. 'modprobe kvm'? Or that modprobes something one
of those modules depend on?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 07:50:57PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Blacklisting a module does not override an explicit loading of it (a
> direct modprobe, rather than a modprobe of an alias of it). Is there a
> script that runs, e.g. 'modprobe kvm'? Or that modprobes something one
> of those modules depend on?

Yes indeed. Turns out that the kvm package is installed, and that this
places a startup script into init.d. Since I typically use VirtualBox
(which will not run with kvm loaded) rather than some of the other
virtualizers that rely on kvm, I'm going to try removing the package.

If I need it again in the future, I'll just add:

modprobe -r kvm-intel kvm

to /etc/rc.local to remove it except when I want to load it manually.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!