Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Anthony Campbell

Default Why is Firefox calling gimp instead of xpdf?

On my laptop I have set Preferences to use xpdf to read pdf files, but
for some reason it keeps calling gimp instead. Is there any way to make
it do what I want?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 AM
"Mr. Wang Long"

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:35, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> On my laptop I have set Preferences to use xpdf to read pdf files, but
> for some reason it keeps calling gimp instead. Is there any way to make
> it do what I want?
>
> Anthony

Try to install the package mozplugger

Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 10 Mar 2009, Mr. Wang Long wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 17:35, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> > On my laptop I have set Preferences to use xpdf to read pdf files, but
> > for some reason it keeps calling gimp instead. Is there any way to make
> > it do what I want?
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> Try to install the package mozplugger

I already have it.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:46 AM
"Mr. Wang Long"

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 01:53, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Mar 2009, Mr. Wang Long wrote:
>>
>> Try to install the package mozplugger
>
> I already have it.

Then you can choose your desired program here:
Firefox -> Edit -> Preferences -> Applications -> pdf document

Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Anthony Campbell

On 11 Mar 2009, Mr. Wang Long wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 01:53, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> > On 10 Mar 2009, Mr. Wang Long wrote:
> >>
> >> Try to install the package mozplugger
> >
> > I already have it.
> >
> Then you can choose your desired program here:
> Firefox -> Edit -> Preferences -> Applications -> pdf document

As I said in my original post, this is what I do and it has no effect.

Anthony

Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Brad Rogers

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:09:10 +0000
Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:

Hello Anthony,

> As I said in my original post, this is what I do and it has no effect.

A bit of a long shoot, but try looking in Tools>Add-ons>Plugins. There
might be something there overriding your Preferences settings. It
happens here. My Prefs are set to "Always ask" but with the acroread
plugin, PDFs are displayed without ever asking.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

You're a sidewalk cipher speaking prionic jive
Give You Nothing - Bad Religion

Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Bob Cox

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:35:54 +0000, Anthony Campbell (ac@acampbell.org.uk) wrote:

> On my laptop I have set Preferences to use xpdf to read pdf files, but
> for some reason it keeps calling gimp instead. Is there any way to make
> it do what I want?

If you are using KDE, then I would take a look at the file association
settings in the control centre. Presumably there is a Gnome equivalent.

For me, Firefox/Iceweasel obeys these settings; I have no entry at all
for pdf in my Iceweasel preferences.

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 11 Mar 2009, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:09:10 +0000
> Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello Anthony,
>
> > As I said in my original post, this is what I do and it has no effect.
>
> A bit of a long shoot, but try looking in Tools>Add-ons>Plugins. There
> might be something there overriding your Preferences settings. It
> happens here. My Prefs are set to "Always ask" but with the acroread
> plugin, PDFs are displayed without ever asking.

Good idea, but there isn't anything relevant there.

Anthony

Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 11 Mar 2009, Bob Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:35:54 +0000, Anthony Campbell (ac@acampbell.org.uk) wrote:
>
> > On my laptop I have set Preferences to use xpdf to read pdf files, but
> > for some reason it keeps calling gimp instead. Is there any way to make
> > it do what I want?
>
> If you are using KDE, then I would take a look at the file association
> settings in the control centre. Presumably there is a Gnome equivalent.
>
> For me, Firefox/Iceweasel obeys these settings; I have no entry at all
> for pdf in my Iceweasel preferences.
>
> --
> Bob Cox. Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
> Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.
> Debian on the NSLU2: http://bobcox.com/slug/

I don't use either KDE or Gnome. I'll try removing Gimp temporarily and
see what happens.

Anthony