Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 AM
David Parker

Default Forward System Messages to SSH

> Now and then, messages are output to the tty display, such as
> USB
> devices being plugged in, etc.* Is there a way to have
> those messages
> sent to an SSH terminal?* I'm using OpenSSH.

I believe you can change where those messages go by editing your /etc/syslog.conf file, specifically these lines (found at the bottom):

daemon.*;mail.*;
******* news.err;
******* *.=debug;*.=info;
******* *.=notice;*.=warn****** |/dev/xconsole

I have never tried redirecting those messages to an SSH terminal, though.* I think it would need to be bound to a named pipe in order for syslog to send messages to it.* Again, I've never tried it so I could be very wrong about that.

*** - Dave

Old 03-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 08:26:59PM -0700, Stephan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> A quick (and hopefully simply answered because I must have missed
> something) question.
>
> Now and then, messages are output to the tty display, such as USB
> devices being plugged in, etc. Is there a way to have those messages
> sent to an SSH terminal? I'm using OpenSSH.

You could theoretically send syslog messages. See /etc/syslog.conf (or
whatever configuration you use for rsyslog). However the problem is that
you can't tell in advance what terminal device you'll get when logging in
through ssh.

As for making it the console device: I don't believe it is possible.
This is set at boot time.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend