Old 03-10-2009, 02:30 AM
steve

Default Yahoo Messenger replacement?

M. Lewis wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> M. Lewis wrote:
>>> I'd love to get my wife's machine off of M$ software. The only problem
>>> has been Yahoo Messenger. My wife is dependent on YM to talk with her
>>> family. My wife's family goes to the internet cafe to chat with her, so
>>> they don't have any control over what version of YM is being used. Not
>>> only do they chat, they use the webcam. Prior (a couple of years ago) I
>>> tried several Linux substitutes for YM, including Yahoo's own YM for
>>> Linux (which was the worst).
>>>
>>> Hopefully things have changed though and there's a good substitute
>>> available for Linux now.
>>>
>>> What is the best recommendation for a replacement for YM on Linux? It
>>> must be compatibl
>>
>> e with YM and it must be able to use the webcam.
>>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>>> Mike
>>>

>> ive been using gyach for years. works great, while others are
>> struggling ie. pidgin, empathy to support video/voice gyach has had it
>> for as long as i can remember.
>>
>> http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
>>
>> there may be someone who has one precompiled deb for debian, wait for
>> another to jump in. ( i use it on ubuntu, might work might not)
>>

>> you may also want to recommend skype. both voice and video there as
>> well.
>>

> Thanks Steve & Daryl. There doesn't seem to be a .deb for Sid amd64. At
> least not there. I tried installing it the old fashion way, but got
> errors with that as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

yeah your going to have problems with 64 bit. Unless your doing some
processor intensive calculations or encoding theres no reason to be
using 64 bit in my book. (judging by what you said it being your wifes
laptop, i doubt thats the case) Ive always gotten nothing but headaches
trying to use it.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com
http://budget-repair.com

~ Netiquette ~
http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/dec99/pirillo1.htm

Old 03-10-2009, 02:30 AM
steve

Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 AM
"M. Lewis"

steve wrote:

M. Lewis wrote:

steve wrote:

M. Lewis wrote:

[...]

Well, problem is, I have to demonstrate to her that it is going to work
properly first. Now if there were a Live CD with that on it, that would
be great!

--

There is no problem that, when programmed just right, isn't more
complicated.

Linux Registered User #241685 http://counter.li.org

Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 07:24:43PM -0400, Daryl Styrk wrote:
> M. Lewis wrote:
>>

>> What is the best recommendation for a replacement for YM on Linux? It
>> must be compatible with YM and it must be able to use the webcam.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Mike
>>

> Have a look here. http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
>
> I read there is some work being done on webcam support in Pidgin.

Pidgin's developers don't seem to be interested in audio and video.
Kopete and Empathy will probably support Yahoo Messanger video before
Pidgin will. Check those two.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 07:24:43PM -0400, Daryl Styrk wrote:
> M. Lewis wrote:
>>

>> What is the best recommendation for a replacement for YM on Linux? It
>> must be compatible with YM and it must be able to use the webcam.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Mike
>>

> Have a look here. http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

http://bugs.debian.org/381263

Yikes. Badly architecture-specific.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 03-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Umarzuki Mochlis

2009/3/10 Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il>

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 07:24:43PM -0400, Daryl Styrk wrote:

> M. Lewis wrote:

>> What is the best recommendation for a replacement for YM on Linux? It

>> must be compatible with YM and it must be able to use the webcam.

>> Thanks for any suggestions,

>> Mike

> Have a look here. http://gyachi.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

http://bugs.debian.org/381263

Yikes. Badly architecture-specific.
It seems somebody made a package for lenny i386
http://www.geocities.com/edwa94/gyachi/

--

Tzafrir Cohen * * * * | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is

http://tzafrir.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| a Mutt's

tzafrir@cohens.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| *best

ICQ# 16849754 * * * * | * * * * * * * * * *| friend

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,09.Mar.09, 18:14:16, M. Lewis wrote:

> What is the best recommendation for a replacement for YM on Linux? It
> must be compatible with YM and it must be able to use the webcam.

kopete in lenny works fine with the webcam, but you need to install
libjasper-runtime.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)