Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Stephan

Default Forward System Messages to SSH

Hi Folks,

A quick (and hopefully simply answered because I must have missed
something) question.

Now and then, messages are output to the tty display, such as USB
devices being plugged in, etc. Is there a way to have those messages
sent to an SSH terminal? I'm using OpenSSH.

Thanks!

Stephan

Old 03-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Celejar

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:26:59 -0700
Stephan <geek@wickedclips.net> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> A quick (and hopefully simply answered because I must have missed
> something) question.
>
> Now and then, messages are output to the tty display, such as USB
> devices being plugged in, etc. Is there a way to have those messages
> sent to an SSH terminal? I'm using OpenSSH.

The simple way, which may be be enough for you: IIUC, most of the
messages you'll want also go to syslog, so just run 'tail
-f /var/log/syslog' in an ssh session.

The more complicated way (speculation - I haven't tried this): see the
Remote-Serials-Console-Howto to set up linux to use a serial port (or a
USB virtual serial port) as the console, and then connect to that using
reverse telnet:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/index.html
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/621592.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_telnet