Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Sander Marechal

Default Defunct processes with SFTP from Lenny to Etch

Hi all,

My desktop is Lenny but my server is still Etch. I am having a lot of
trouble with SFTP processes hanging on the server, resulting in a hung
client as well. I use Vim's Netrw (using sftp) quite a lot to update my
website on the server and I get hit a lot by this. It also happens when
I use sftp commands manually from the commandline.

Plain ssh sessions seem stabler but sometimes also go defunct.

Here is an example showing `ps -axuf` for such a hung process (in this
case : issued the command ":e sftp://myserver.com/" in Vim to show a
directory listing.

root 17636 0.0 0.2 8636 2548 ? Ss 00:06 0:00 \_ sshd: sander [priv]
sander 17645 0.0 0.1 8636 1572 ? S 00:06 0:00 | \_ sshd: sander@notty
sander 17646 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Zs 00:06 0:00 | \_ [ls] <defunct>

Any idea what can cause this or how to solve this? I have been looking
at the KeepAlive options for sshd but that doesn't help. Sometimes a
process goes defunct right after connecting for the first time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Sander Marechal