-   -   Locale Problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/26-locale-problem.html)

Haines Brown 11-16-2007 11:20 AM

Locale Problem

I've had a similar locales problem, and it seems to have resulted from
incompatibility of package versions. I resolved it by doing # aptitude
upgrade, which upgraded my perl.

The suggetion to set C_TIME = "en_DK.UTF-8" in order to get the
European date format interested me. However, despite putting an export
statement into ~/.bashrc or setting varible/value in /etc/drfault/locale,
I still get

$ locale
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"

How would one set this particular variable to be different from the
value of others? Would the variable LC_ALL have to be removed from
the /etc/default/locale list?

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM

Florian Kulzer 11-16-2007 12:24 PM

Locale Problem

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 07:20:55 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:

[...]

> The suggetion to set C_TIME = "en_DK.UTF-8" in order to get the
> European date format interested me. However, despite putting an export
> statement into ~/.bashrc or setting varible/value in /etc/drfault/locale,
> I still get
>
> $ locale
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
>
> How would one set this particular variable to be different from the
> value of others? Would the variable LC_ALL have to be removed from
> the /etc/default/locale list?

LC_ALL overrides all the other LC_* variables; you cannot use it if you want to
differentiate in the individual LC_* settings. If you do not set LC_ALL then
you can mix the rest as desired.

Florian |