Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
"Nicholas Bodley"

Default New Lenny installation: 800 x 600 max on 21-inch CRT monitor

I recently did an Internet installation of Lenny, and found a lot to like,
but the screen resolution is limited to 800 x 600 px max. Best guess is
that hardware detection doesn't recognize my monitor (although I had much
better luck with OpenSUSE).

Monitor is DEC VRC-21WA, 21 inch, that can do 1600 x 1200; I have been
running at that res. as well as 1280 x 1024. It is apparently a re-badged
Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 21TX; one specific designation for that is
THN9105SKTK. H range is 30-93 kHz, and V 50-152 Hz, or close.

Machine is an eMachines T6532, AMD Athlon 64 @ 2.2 GHz, 1GB RAM shared
with video. Video is an NVidia chip no the motherboard -- GeForce 6100,
almost sure. I just read through the [dmesg] log, and saw no mentionof
setting resolution.

Trying to discover the appropriate config. file, it seems that there's an
entry called Screen in a file (sorry! Don't recall where!), and that lists
only 800 x 600.

[/etc/X11/xorg.conf] doesn't seem to contain anything specific that would
help; it's almost a skeleton file.

Synaptic did not list Krandr among the installable applications.
[apt-get install krandr] didn't find it, although I might need to include
more repo's. From some reading online, I'm not sure it's compatible. The
graphic size/position utility in OpenSUSE didn't work, perhaps because I'd
installed NVidia driver[s].

Ctrl-Alt-{+|-} (possible bad syntax, there) seem to cycle through four
settings (but, where are its files?), two of them out of the monitor's
range. The two that do work are both 800 x 600, one at 60 Hz, the other at
56 Hz, apparently. The simple utility at System -> Prefs. -> Screen
Resolution offers only 800 x 600 (and nothing faster than 60 Hz,
disappointing, knowing that V rate can be a lot higher).

Needless to say, I'd dearly love to run with a higher resolution!

I've also had a display area that's undersize, at higher resolutions, but
will ask for help if/when that happens. It seems to be caused by the
NVidia driver[s].

In general, Lenny is a joy! In many ways, I love it.

Best regards, and many thanks for considering this message.

--
Nicholas Bodley +|=|+ Waltham, Mass.
Sent from Debian 'Lenny' using Opera

Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM
"Daniel A. Ramaley"

On 2009-03-09 at 15:45:26, Nicholas Bodley wrote:
>[/etc/X11/xorg.conf] doesn't seem to contain anything specific that
> would help; it's almost a skeleton file.

Edit that file. If there is a Monitor section, modify it. If there is
not one, add it. Make it look like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DEC VRC-21WA"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 30-93
VertRefresh 50-152
EndSection

In the Screen section, change the line identifying the monitor:

Monitor "DEC VRC-21WA"

Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 09 March 2009 15:45:26 Nicholas Bodley wrote:
> [/etc/X11/xorg.conf] doesn't seem to contain anything specific that
would
> help; it's almost a skeleton file.

Add the resolutions you want to this file. You might also add what
information you've been able to determine about your monitor
(particularly refresh rates).

$ man 5 xorg.conf
should document most of the file, and where you'll want to put your
changes.

The nvidia driver should install some documentation under /usr/share
that will tell you about any special settings it can take (inside
your xorg.conf's "Driver" section, IIRC).

I'm starting to agree with some other posters on the list that the
new automatic Xorg configuration is more trouble than it is worth and
probably should have matured through another release before being
part of stable. It was probably not well tested, as upgrades from
Etch don't show the ill effects; the xorg.conf is already complete.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM

When Lenny was installed it probably kept your old xorg.conf in the
same directory as the new one with some other extension. Take a
look. It may give you a clue or you may just decide to swap the old
for the new.
larry

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
"Nicholas Bodley"