Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Victor Padro

Default Upgrade etch to lenny on virtual server (Virtuozzo) with 2.6.18 kernel

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 06:56:25PM +0100, hh.eu@gmx.de wrote:

> Hello Debian users,

> I have a virtual private server (VPS) that is running a minimal install

> of

> etch (image used for installation provided by the hosting company). I

> believe they use Virtuozzo for virtualisation. Since the virtual servers

> are

> not run using Xen, this means I am bound by the kernel provided by the

> hoster since all virtual machines are sharing the kernel.

> The kernel is:

> servername:~# uname -a

> Linux servername.provider.tld 2.6.18-028stab060.2 #1 SMP Tue Jan 13

> 10:24:09 MSK 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

> Now my question is: Is it possible (or wise) to try to upgrade to lenny?

Possible: sure. Each Debian distribution supports running on kernel of

previous version.

Wise? You generally have less than a year to migrate. It would probably

be a good idea to ask them when will they provide you with a newer

kernel to make a more informed decision.

> If you don't see reasons against this update: Would you recommend an

> installation using debootstrap, or is it fine to do the following?

> 1) /etc/apt/sources.list : Change occurences of etch to lenny

> 2) aptitude update

> 3) apt-get install aptitude

> 4) aptitude dist-upgrade

This looks fine. Naturally it would help if you can test the upgrade on

a similar server.

> I have simulated the above, and realised that there are some dependency

> problems, but they seem to result from the fact that it is a minimal

> install

> without X server etc. and thus there are unmet dependencies ("depends")

> even

> now in the current installation.

What are those?

--

Tzafrir Cohen * * * * | tzafrir@jabber.org | VIM is

http://tzafrir.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| a Mutt's

tzafrir@cohens.org.il | * * * * * * * * * *| *best

ICQ# 16849754 * * * * | * * * * * * * * * *| friend