Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

Default Upgrade etch to lenny on virtual server (Virtuozzo) with 2.6.18 kernel

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 06:56:25PM +0100, hh.eu@gmx.de wrote:
> Hello Debian users,
>
> I have a virtual private server (VPS) that is running a minimal install
> of
> etch (image used for installation provided by the hosting company). I
> believe they use Virtuozzo for virtualisation. Since the virtual servers
> are
> not run using Xen, this means I am bound by the kernel provided by the
> hoster since all virtual machines are sharing the kernel.
>
> The kernel is:
>
> servername:~# uname -a
> Linux servername.provider.tld 2.6.18-028stab060.2 #1 SMP Tue Jan 13
> 10:24:09 MSK 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Now my question is: Is it possible (or wise) to try to upgrade to lenny?

Possible: sure. Each Debian distribution supports running on kernel of
previous version.

Wise? You generally have less than a year to migrate. It would probably
be a good idea to ask them when will they provide you with a newer
kernel to make a more informed decision.

> If you don't see reasons against this update: Would you recommend an
> installation using debootstrap, or is it fine to do the following?
>
> 1) /etc/apt/sources.list : Change occurences of etch to lenny
> 2) aptitude update
> 3) apt-get install aptitude
> 4) aptitude dist-upgrade

This looks fine. Naturally it would help if you can test the upgrade on
a similar server.

> I have simulated the above, and realised that there are some dependency
> problems, but they seem to result from the fact that it is a minimal
> install
> without X server etc. and thus there are unmet dependencies ("depends")
> even
> now in the current installation.

What are those?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's