Old 03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default NFS server fails after upgrade to lenny

I upgraded the server on my LAN to lenny recntly (after making a backup
of the etch system (everything except user file systems)) in another
partition.

Now when I run lennty on the server, an NFS mount from a client machine
fails with the message (hand-transcribed from screen; there may be typos)

lovesong:~# mount /farhome
mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.25.1.11' failed: RPC Error: Program not registeres
lovesong:~#

But when I reboot the server to etch using the etch I saved in the backup
partitions:

lovesong:~# #mount /ferhome
[514.141911] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
[514.143371] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
lovesong:~#

So the upgrade seems to have damaged something. Where should I look?

And, by the way, I have installed nfs-common. That one seems to be
there in the etch system, too.

I'm currently running the server using my backup copy of the
old etch system. I'd like to be able to move to lenny, but
right noe it's infeasible.

-- hendrik

Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Michael Wagner

* Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> 09.03.2009

> I upgraded the server on my LAN to lenny recntly (after making a backup
> of the etch system (everything except user file systems)) in another
> partition.
>
> Now when I run lennty on the server, an NFS mount from a client machine
> fails with the message (hand-transcribed from screen; there may be typos)
>
> lovesong:~# mount /farhome
> mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.25.1.11' failed: RPC Error: Program not registeres
> lovesong:~#
>
> So the upgrade seems to have damaged something. Where should I look?

Hello Hendrik,

I have had the same problem here with sid on the workstation and lenny
on the server. I found on the net the solution to write in
/etc/default/rcS.

ASYNCMOUNTNFS=no

With this entry all works fine.

Hth Michael

--
"A man has not lived until he has almost died. For those who
have fought, life has a flavor the protected will never know."

Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Michael Wagner

* Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> 10.03.2009

> I have had the same problem here with sid on the workstation and lenny
> on the server. I found on the net the solution to write in
> /etc/default/rcS.
>
> ASYNCMOUNTNFS=no

sorry for the incomplet answer. You must write this on the client in
/etc/default/rcS

Michael

--
"Freedom is not worth having if it doesn't include
the freedom to make mistakes."

Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Hendrik Boom

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 21:24:23 +0100, Michael Wagner wrote:

> * Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> 09.03.2009
>
>> I upgraded the server on my LAN to lenny recntly (after making a backup
>> of the etch system (everything except user file systems)) in another
>> partition.
>>
>> Now when I run lennty on the server, an NFS mount from a client machine
>> fails with the message (hand-transcribed from screen; there may be
>> typos)
>>
>> lovesong:~# mount /farhome
>> mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.25.1.11' failed: RPC Error: Program
>> not registeres lovesong:~#
>>
>> So the upgrade seems to have damaged something. Where should I look?
>
> Hello Hendrik,
>
> I have had the same problem here with sid on the workstation and lenny
> on the server. I found on the net the solution to write in
> /etc/default/rcS.
>
> ASYNCMOUNTNFS=no
>
> With this entry all works fine.
>
> Hth Michael

s you said in the next message, on the client.

Ive looked at the specs for this option (in man 5 rcS) and I don't see
how it will help. It merely delays the time the filesystem is mounted
until later in the boot process. However, I boot it manually, long after
the boot is finished.

Still, I'll try it tomorrow, and see if it works. All may not be as
described.

No. Wait. The /etc/fstab line is

172.25.1.11:/farhome /farhome nfs defaults,user,auto,exec 1 1

So ot's mounted automatically *and* allowed to be user-mounted. (I
wonser if these options conflict.) So when I mount it by hand it's after
(presumably) it has already (presumably) failed to mount ....

Definitely to try it tomorrow when I'm awake and nobody's relying on
continuous service.

-- hendrik