Old 03-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Dave Patterson

Default Help! My debian sid cannot boot, "A manual fsck must be performed"

* Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> [2009-03-09 21:20:59 +0800]:

> i have fixed it, just exe "fsck /dev/sda4" and press enters

Sid's a mess right now...
Heh.
--
Dave

Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Dave Patterson

* Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de> [2009-03-09 14:50:57 +0100]:

> > Sid's a mess right now...
>
> And nothing for untrained Debian users IMHO.

Yup, happens every time a new release goes out. We try lotsa new stuff,
and it's not quite coordinated. reportbug gets lots of exercise, and
upstream gets spanked.

--
Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Dave Patterson escreveu:
> * Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> [2009-03-09 21:20:59 +0800]:
>
>> i have fixed it, just exe "fsck /dev/sda4" and press enters
>>

> Sid's a mess right now...
> Heh.

I'd tend to agree, but I don't think this specific case is a problem
with sid. It's just the drive that needed a fsck. (Or is there a bug in
the init scripts that misinterprets fsck's return codes?)

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 03-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Dave Patterson

* Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de> [2009-03-09 14:58:57 +0100]:

> But it's cool to see all the stuff comes in and help testing the packages.

We do. When I have time to play, I love to see what can be done with my
favorite stuff. My road lappy is running Lenny - and is quite happy
with it. I'll keep it there, for now. Misery is a borked wifi
connection in a strange hotel. With business pending.

At home, now, the monster box with all the new hardware is running
pure-dee Sid, and code is playing catch-up at the moment - it's fun.

--
Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-10-2009, 05:21 AM
Steven Demetrius

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 21:14 +0800, Star Liu wrote:
> When I boot my debian sid 5 minutes ago, I got this error message:
> /dev/sda4: unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually.(i.e., without
> -a or -p options)
> fsck died with exit status 4
> failed (code 4)
> An automatic file system check(fsck) of the root filesystem failed. A
> manual fsck must be performed. The fsck should be performed in
> maintance mode with the root filesystem mounted in read-only mode.
> failed!
>
> i have entered the maintance mode, but i don't know how to recover my
> filesystem. anyone can help me? thank you. this is the first time i
> encounter a serious problem with debian.

Sounds like you have a defective HD.

--

Thank you.

Steven

Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 08:25:35 +0800, Star Liu (minxinjianxin@gmail.com) wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Star Liu <minxinjianxin@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:

> >> At grub's menu, edit the kernel command line so that you add:
> >>
> >> * * * *init=/bin/sh

> > My debian sid now break more, after I add init-/bin/sh to the kernel
It may just be a typo, but "init-/bin/sh" is not the same as
"init=/bin/sh"

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.